Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

P3-Adub

Bye Bye !!!
Have a trip out there soon and I know they have extended the runway to 4650'. Anyone been in there in a Challenger or GII/GIII? Our principle says his buddy's pilot says strong crosswinds therefor they are using ST. Thomas and they operate a Falcon. Thinking maybe they just don't like the shorter runways. Neither do I however the numbers look decent if we are pretty light. Any info on typical winds, the runway is 7/25 so it should be well aligned for in the Caribbean?? Approaches to both runways look to be over water and no obstructions from photos I have seen. Planning daytime arrival and departure so the nightime instrument approach is not a factor. Any info would be great, if you have used St. Thomas as an alternate, any experience with the Ferry over to Tortola?

I was there last February in our Falcon 900. The threshold is displaced on both ends. The landing distance available on runway 7(the favored runway) is 3950. It is a nice runway and as I recall we had a wind of about 15 knots down the runway. I heard all sorts of different numbers from people about the length of the runway so I finally called the airport and asked. I took the ferry once along time ago. It was ok for me, but your passengers might like a chartered Caravan(or something else) better. You have to take a car from the ferry to the boat and then another car on Tortola.

We stayed for week last February and I loved it. Definitely rent a car. If there is anything else I can tell you please ask.

Pat

If you chose STT take the Bomba Charger to West End. Complete with DC-7 seats and a place between your feet for a cooler, it's the best way to arrive in West End Tortola, BVI. Long Bay resort is great. Grab a car and head to Stanley's on the beach at Cane Garden Bay. The island is most hospitable. Can't help with landing distances.

Years ago leaving BFI on a DC-3 to SJU the Capt ran the wingtip over a chain link fence bordering the ramp. A sheepish looking F/O trecked back towards the exit. I watched as he inspected the wing. He returned to assure us all was well, and away we went. Don't recommend it in the ATR's they use today but the "3" is still in service.

caseyd

Any info would be great, if you have used St. Thomas as an alternate, any experience with the Ferry over to Tortola?

Instead of the "ferry" I would recommend that they take Cape Air, a 9 minute flight in the 402 and you never even have to leave the airport. You could even arrange a charter for cheap. If not they have scheduled service. Even if you just book it as a back up I think it would be a better idea. This happens all the time with Cape Air down there. Getting to the ferry and waiting for the next one could be quite a pain in the rear.

Definately 4000' of landing distance

And if you overrun it even by a foot make sure you are wearing your bathing suit. I called down there too last year, trying to figure the runway length for a G200.
"Oh yeah Mon nooo problem, we get GIV's and GV's in here all de time" luckily I did a bit more research into it and found some actual reports through the NBAA website.
I recommend a king air charter from TIST, call alliance aviation ([SIZE=-1]340-777-4646). They had a King Air standing by when we pulled onto the ramp. Within 10 minutes of landing our pax's were in the air again on their way to Beef Island...no inconvenience at all. Alliance has great service, for a down island destination and more importantly they do what they say they will.
Enjoy!
[/SIZE]

Instead of the "ferry" I would recommend that they take Cape Air, a 9 minute flight in the 402 and you never even have to leave the airport. You could even arrange a charter for cheap. If not they have scheduled service. Even if you just book it as a back up I think it would be a better idea. This happens all the time with Cape Air down there. Getting to the ferry and waiting for the next one could be quite a pain in the rear.

Cape Air or Alliance charter work fine. I was suggesting the ferry more for the crew and for the adventure of travel with the locals in the manner they move between islands. Safe trip..

caseyd

I recommend a king air charter from TIST, call alliance aviation ([SIZE=-1]340-777-4646). They had a King Air standing by when we pulled onto the ramp. Within 10 minutes of landing our pax's were in the air again on their way to Beef Island...no inconvenience at all. Alliance has great service, for a down island destination and more importantly they do what they say they will.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Enjoy![/SIZE]

I looked into flying for these guys when I lived in the islands. The owner is a local and a DE. I don't know about their MX, but the training, even for the PIC is done in house. Yes they fly two pilots, mostly for insurance I would guess. I agree, that taking the ferry for the pilots would be fun. Keep in mind that Cape Air can take them too. I guess the one bonus to Cape Air is that there pilots are based in Tortolla and might take you out and show you around. (By might I mean they will)

Thanks for the useful info.

All good stuff.

Whether we land at Beef or take the ferry or King Air from St. Thomas, we plan to stay on Tortola. For all that HAVE been in there, do you find the winds aligned with the runways as mentioned by the Falcon 900 crew? As I mentioned, another pilot was telling his client that there are very strong crosswinds and therefore he did not want to use this airport.

Found a nice looking place on Little Apple bay. Any other must see's? Know if most restaurants take plastic or is cash King? Looks like sort of a quiet place, anything happening on this island? We plan to rent a car however does anyone know if there is decent taxi service on the island?

Thanks again for all of the replies. Good to hear from people that have been in there.

I was there in Jan. '05 in a Citation V, so runway length wasn't a problem. However, I did run into a problem with paying for fuel. At the time they would only take the branded fuel card (I think it was Shell) or cash. We had a VISA debit card and they would not accept it. We ended up having to spend the night in Tortola, then flying to San Juan the next morning for fuel.

Call ahead to see which cards they will accept.

U

Latest resources

Back