B727 Rvsm

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TundraT

Does anyone know of any operations using a B727 that are capable of operating in European airspace? Might be a dumb question but it has been over 25 year since I got my FE ticket and never used it. Thanks for the responses.

Probably most all of them here in the United States now.

Starting back in January, to take advantage of FL280-FL410, all aircraft that wanted to fly up there had to be RVSM equipped and certified.

I don't know much about the 727, but I can't imagine they get real great fuel economy below 280 with those three engines!

I used to know one in the LA basin but the company put it up for sale and the chief pilot was a self-centered scumbag that fired the best FE he had. They went to Europe all the time.

Sorry this is no help.

I don't think too many 727s are allowed to fly in too many places in Europe. Stage III and a bad footprint. A lot of the ones flying in the states are not DRVSM and if they are -7 powered and heavy, you're not going to get too much more than FL280 anyway, especially in the summer.

Yeah the big issue there is gonna be Stage III noise issues, not RVSM. Lord, in BRU they didn't even think an MD-II was quiet enough. A 727 would make em drop their waffles for sure!

kevdog said:
I don't think too many 727s are allowed to fly in too many places in Europe. Stage III and a bad footprint. A lot of the ones flying in the states are not DRVSM and if they are -7 powered and heavy, you're not going to get too much more than FL280 anyway, especially in the summer.

If the 727 is registerd in the states (and flying) it is Stage III. Now Stage IV is going to be a whole other story. Not being RVSM and flying down the Atlantic does suck. You burn gas majorly and seems to be twice as noisy. I did JFK-PUJ for a year at 27 & 28. Even at altitude of 33,000 we tend to burn 10,000-12,000lbs /hr with -17.

As far as I know the majority of companies that are still flying the 727 ARE RVSM equipped. If they aren't they wont be in biz much longer.

I think there is still a couple of companies in Europe that operate the 727 but they will probably be going away pretty quickly.

Company called DB AIR/Falcon Air Express out of Miami, FL i know for sure of one 727 that is RVSM, N211DB. The other one that im aware of but not sure if its RVSM is N521DB.

As far as I know the majority of companies that are still flying the 727 ARE RVSM equipped. If they aren't they wont be in biz much longer.
I haven't flown one yet at FDX that is RVSM. I heard we are going to upgrade them though. Flying 2.5 hrs down at 260 is painful. We were burning 10000 pph at 270 and .84 last night. It's going to get really painful when spring boomers start popping up. The other night I heard UPS trolling around at 270 also so they must be in the same boat. I don't think either of us has to worry about going out of biz any time soon.

Last edited:
Purpledog said:
The other night I heard UPS trolling around at 270 also so they must be in the same boat. I don't think either of us has to worry about going out of biz any time soon.
UPS 727's are certified for RVSM.

CE

Latest resources

Back