• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA Bows Out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
By the way, I don't believe this news means the AAI deal is going to go through as advertised. There are many other factors that will be considered next week and several hours left in the bidding process. We might all be surprised at the outcome. I just hope ATA crews suffer as little as possible.

IAHERJ

Hey Dooshbag,

Here you go again with your great attitude. There is nothing wrong with us, ATA pilots, hoping for something. And as far as pointing fingers and venom in the posts, I don't think I am seeing it. Yes we have a couple of hot heads spouting off about things, which is common when people's lives are hanging on a fuking court decision. Thanks for great words of encouragement though.

flyhard,

You are right about the attitude. I guess being a "Dooshbahg" carries with it a certain latent cynicism and I sometimes forget that I am just another pilot, too.

My point is that the Air Tran pilots are not the bad guys, here. That's all. And I do wish you all (and I mean ALL) good luck. This is a tough business that most likely will get every one of us in the end. Those of us who choose to ride it out.

FarginDooshbahg said:
Oh yea, and ATA717Pilot. You're right. If you don't make this "one day" group interview that you were given "4 days" notice of, you have ZERO chance of EVER applying to Air Tran again. GMAFB...:rolleyes:
I think you are missing the point of the posting....I never said it would prevent me from applying to FL. The point is that the timing and haphazard way that this "Job Fair" was presented speaks volumes about how FL views the aquisition of TZ Pilots.

If FL had a sincere interest in taking advantage of the qualified labor pool that would be available here, they would have gone to great lengths to publicize the event as well as covering multiple days to allow for the greatest number of TZ pilots to take advantage (wow, talk about a sentence run-on).

This one-day "Job Fair" at the last moment with very little advance notice is nothing more than a way for FL to appease Daily, the terms of the agreement, etc. so that they can claim a "good faith" effort was made to the exsisting employees.

A token number will be hired as a result.

I guess I can even see FL's POV, I'm sure they have no interest in bringing on a large group of possibly disgruntled aviators with strong ALPA leanings...hell, I wouldn't want us either for just that reason. I'm sure management fears the loss of control over the pilot group should ALPA make a foothold there.

Noone here..with the exception of a few in the minority blames the FL pilots in any way.

Last edited:
I am stupid and don't quite understand what is going on!!!!!!

I thought ATA was owned by a single person since the beginning. How can this person's life-long motivation and occupation simply come to an end so quickly. What does AirTran's involvement mean? Can ATA be resurrected or restructured, or is this it. Is AirTran just holding the reigns for a while until the brass at ATA figures this one out? Is it possible that the whole thing can just slide over to AirTran, ie. like a merger or takeover. What happens to all the planes, the infrastructure, the stores, the mx, and most importantly the people? Why can't ATA file for protection like some of the "big-boys". It seems USAir and UAL are so far away from this happening, why does ATA have to take this?

LG

Land Green,

I think it comes down to three things- greed, ego, stupidity, not necessarily in that order. ATA did not file like the "big boys" mainly because GM (CEO) does not want to give up control of the company. If an outside investor wanted to pump money into ATA, it would come with a price of control in some way. Personally I think GM will sell the pieces, pocket the cash, and keep a small charter airline to play with. Who knows with WN entering the game and AWA saying they are out it could wind up a number of different ways. It would be a lot more fun to watch on the outside, that is for sure.

The union response.

Release #04-04
December 9, 2004

ALPA ATA Pilots Blast Management, Lessors for Not Cooperating with America West’s Plan to Save ATA Jobs

Capt. Erik Engdahl, chairman of the ATA Airlines unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, made this statement today following America West Airlines’ announcement that it was canceling plans to make a bid for ATA’s assets in U.S Bankruptcy Court. Capt. Engdahl, a resident of Brown County, IN, is a Boeing 757 pilot based on the west coast.

“We’re deeply disappointed that America West has decided not to acquire ATA. We have believed from the beginning that the America West plan was the best deal available to preserve the jobs of ATA’s employees. Today’s decision increases the likelihood that thousands of ATA employees – including several hundred pilots and flight engineers – will be out of work within six months.

“After several intense weeks of work with America West senior management and our pilot counterparts there, we were ready to announce a plan today for a seamless integration of the ATA and America West flight crews. We had completed final language for this plan late Wednesday night, and were ready to take it to our members for ratification. While we are disappointed, our next step is to review the remaining bankruptcy bids and continue to press for a plan that protects as many employees as possible while making ATA a viable competitor.

“We’re furious that ATA’s aircraft lessors apparently refused to cooperate with America West, even though the AWA plan was the best one to keep all of ATA’s airplanes flying. And we’re outraged that ATA didn’t do more to save its own employees by helping facilitate the America West plan. It appears that the highest levels of ATA’s senior management are focused more on their personal job security than the welfare of their fellow workers. We truly believed that ATA was ‘an honestly different airline’ when it came to taking care of people, but now we know better.

“Unless a White Knight materializes tomorrow, it’s going to be a bitter Christmas at ATA.
But our focus remains the same as it was before – to preserve the jobs of as many ATA flight crew members as possible. We have a lot to offer and we are open to discussions with anyone who appreciates our value.”

The Air Line Pilots Association is the bargaining agent for the 1,100 pilots and flight engineers at ATA. ALPA is the world’s oldest and largest pilot union, representing 64,000 pilots at 43 airlines in the U.S. and Canada. Visit the ALPA Web site at http://www.alpa.org.

ATA717, I think you need to simma' down just a touch. You are being way too negative over a chance for pref. interviews. Initially there were many b!tching because they felt FL was not going to hire them. Now you're b!tching because they are hiring? I think you're just bitter, rightfully so, but direct that anger in either the appropriate direction or in more constructive ways.
To debate a few of your points:
Only four days notice on the job fair; well, we're a bit crunched for time ourselves. We don't even know if we will get the gates, yet we're offering pref interviews! On top of that, we will begin flying MDW in one month (assuming it goes through) so we need to start hiring NOW. If you would prefer, we can interview you next month. Would that be too soon? Just remember, that will put 25-50 people in front of you in seniority. Your call.
Better publicity; The information seems to have come directly from your union. I would guess they know the best way to contact the pilot group. What better way could we have advertised it? Would a personal phone call been more to your satisfaction?
Token # hired; This is just in poor spirit. You have no clue how many we will hire, or even intend to hire. The fact is many ATA pilots have interviewed already, with mixed success. There is definitely not a "limit" on how many we will hire, but there is an good attitude requirement that you may want to consider. At least put on your happy face and have a reason you want to work here. Just a hint "You guys are buying us, and I guess I gotta work somewhere" will not give favorable results, but it has been tried.

DCitrus9 said:
ATA717, I think you need to simma' down just a touch. You are being way too negative over a chance for pref. interviews. Initially there were many b!tching because they felt FL was not going to hire them. Now you're b!tching because they are hiring? I think you're just bitter, rightfully so, but direct that anger in either the appropriate direction or in more constructive ways.
To debate a few of your points:
Only four days notice on the job fair; well, we're a bit crunched for time ourselves. We don't even know if we will get the gates, yet we're offering pref interviews! On top of that, we will begin flying MDW in one month (assuming it goes through) so we need to start hiring NOW. If you would prefer, we can interview you next month. Would that be too soon? Just remember, that will put 25-50 people in front of you in seniority. Your call.
Better publicity; The information seems to have come directly from your union. I would guess they know the best way to contact the pilot group. What better way could we have advertised it? Would a personal phone call been more to your satisfaction?
Token # hired; This is just in poor spirit. You have no clue how many we will hire, or even intend to hire. The fact is many ATA pilots have interviewed already, with mixed success. There is definitely not a "limit" on how many we will hire, but there is an good attitude requirement that you may want to consider. At least put on your happy face and have a reason you want to work here. Just a hint "You guys are buying us, and I guess I gotta work somewhere" will not give favorable results, but it has been tried.
I think the way this happened was that job fairs were being conducted for CSR's at MDW, and a union rep went to ask about when the pilot's interview fair might be. The flustered answer is what materialized into this interview day. If that chance encounter hadn't happened - well you know....

I have high respect for Citrus drivers - God knows I don't have any issue with you guys, but you surely can understand why you might hear a few gripes as to how this has come down.

My apologies if I have the events wrong.

We’re furious that ATA’s aircraft lessors apparently refused to cooperate with America West, even though the AWA plan was the best one to keep all of ATA’s airplanes flying. And we’re outraged that ATA didn’t do more to save its own employees by helping facilitate the America West plan.

Anybody that knows EE, knows they don't want him furious or outraged. I hope next week brings better news for ATA.

Latest resources

Back