• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aviation degree/Non-Aviation degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Which is the best option for a young person who wants to pursue a career as a pilot?

• Aviation degree

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Non-Aviation degree

Votes: 155 71.1%

• Total voters

de727ups

Yesterday, I went to a briefing on the Central Washington U aviation program for kids who are interested in piloting careers. The head of the program, who claims to have "contacts in the industry", made the statement that it's better to have an aviation degree than a non-aviation degree...that's what the airlines are really looking for. I countered that, in my opinion, it's better to have a non-aviation degree because the airlines don't care what your degree is in and it's nice to have training in a non-aviation area to fall back on. How many furloughed pilots out there wish they had experience in another field besides flying right now? To the gentleman's credit, he did talk about the current state and cyclical nature of the aviation industry.

You sure can't predict what's going to happen 5 to 10 years down the road in aviation. The only constant I've seen in the constant change....I've been flying since 1978.

My advice is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best...a non-aviation degree is part of that thinking.

I agree with you, a non-aviation degree not only shows that you've diversified your interests, but also serves as a cushion during lean times.
Plus, can you really have a "college experience" while having to fly legally? (8 hour/.04 rule comes to mind here)

I would partly agree. One only difference is if you get an Engineering degree in Aviation.

I am working on a non-aviation degree, and I plan on flying for a living. Hopefuly it will be something to fall back on, and might come in handy as a good stepping block if I need a job to get some flying in right when I get out of college. I want to make the most out of life, and I hope that I can have a good fallback job if aviation doesn't work out. I fly on my own time outside of school using the money I make from my current job. I sometimes wonder about motivation when your education is pertaining to flying. For me, it is my treat and my break from school, not my obligation and source of stress for grades, which I think makes me work harder. What if I were to lose my medical? Non-aviation degree to the rescue!
Off to class.
eriknorth

Think practical for a minute... when the airlines start requiring an aviation specific degree, then look at getting one. Until then, I believe you're foolish to not diversify. Getting furloughed as a pilot at some point in your career is fairly probable. You like to work? Then have a backup plan. ERAU, UND or the other "aviation colleges" don't publish their back-up plans, do they? You gonna get hired at ExxonMobil with an aviation mgmt degree? How about GM? IBM? Merck? think about it.

Get a degree in business, engineering or anything in the medical field from an accredited school.

Regarding the aviation degree in engineering - I assume you're talking about aerospace engineering. If that's absolutely what you have to have - fine. Good luck. If you want to work in the aerospace field (unless highly specialized) you can get hired with a mechanical engr degree. So when the particular project you're working on get's cut - as happens frequently - you can take your ME degree and go to work in engineering & contruction, manufacturing, semiconductors, energy, etc, etc.

After rereading the post above from abatista, I got the impression that their point was to get some aviation information or education in an engineering program. About the only thing similar between any accredited engr program and an "aviation degree" would be History 101, Economics 101, English 101... From there on, the engr coursework is almost totally analytical - calculus, physics, chemistry, mechanisms, controls, materials, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, design. Nothing in any engr curriculum I'm familiar with would come close to how to running a flying business, managing a group of pilots, aviation regulations or similar.

Last edited:
I am in favor of a aviation degree. I think, even in these trouble times, it will open the door to a lot of opportunity. But I also think that having something to fall back on is very helpful... however I don't think that just because you have a degree in something you can automatically "fall back on it". A lot of other industries right now are not looking too good, it is not just aviation.

There are other benefits to going to an aviation school other than just having that ERAU (or whatever) name plastered on your diploma. The airlines really don't give a $hit if you went to ERAU, UND, Purdue, or the local community college. Get yourself a 4 year degree, however you have to do it.

With that said, going to an aviation school will open additional doors for you... sometimes people don't think about this stuff.

Internships with airlines (not possible through non-aviation school)

Alumni network (ERAU alone has a lot of alumni throughout the aviation industry)

Making friends (this sounds gay, but the more friends you have in the aviation biz... the better)

Anyway that is my 2 cents. But I think my main point is you don't have to have a 4 year degree in basketweaving to have a good backup plan.

I was originally enrolled in an aviation program at La Tech and decided my sophomore year that I had better not put all my eggs in one basket so I went and got a Finance degree. Looking back, it was one of the best decisions that I have made because there is no telling what could happen with this industry.

flywithastick, you said:

"Think practical for a minute... when the airlines start requiring an aviation specific degree, then look at getting one. Until then, I believe you're foolish to not diversify. Getting furloughed as a pilot at some point in your career is fairly probable. You like to work? Then have a backup plan."

I agree with you here. It's very important to have a backup plan, especially for the usual Aeronautical Science and/or Airway Science degrees that often times really aren't applicable in any other field.

flywithastick:

"ERAU, UND or the other "aviation colleges" don't publish their back-up plans, do they?"

These places are not "aviation colleges" in the same sense that schools like Sheffield School of Aeronautics are. I'm just using that one as an example, nothing personal against them of course. I believe this is what you were implying. If not, my apologies. ER is a fully accredited university with an aviation emphasis. UND is also fully accredited and aviation is just one of the offered areas of study.

flywithastick:

" You gonna get hired at ExxonMobil with an aviation mgmt degree? How about GM? IBM? Merck? think about it."

I can answer that with a resounding "yes"! An aviation management degree is not nearly as limiting as many people claim. I hold a degree in Aviation Business Administration from ERAU, and I currently have a position in this industry. My formal college education was about 85% business topics and 15% aviation-related. I'm confident that my skills are applicable in most any other business. Money is a common language no matter what the industry. Some recent information from ERAU indicates that management-related graduates were employed (or offered positions) immediately after graduation in such diverse organizations as:

Airborne Express
Bahrain Defense Force
British/Virgin Island Government
Publix
RSAF
First Officer
Salmon Air
TransMeridian Airlines
US Army
Wells Fargo

A quick glance at the alumni directory shows aviation management graduates holding management positions at BP America, Superior Electronics, Signal Corporation, Ernst & Young LLP, Operations Consulting Inc., PIC Energy Group, Southwestern Bell, etc etc.

flywithastick:

"About the only thing similar between any accredited engr program and an "aviation degree" would be History 101, Economics 101, English 101... From there on, the engr coursework is almost totally analytical - calculus, physics, chemistry, mechanisms, controls, materials, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, design. "

Are you implying that "aviation degrees" lack accreditation? I can assure you that these degrees (aviation business admin, aeronautical/aerospace engineering) are as accredited as anything else out there. Again, if that's not what you are implying, then my apologies.

flywithastick:

"Nothing in any engr curriculum I'm familiar with would come close to how to running a flying business, managing a group of pilots, aviation regulations or similar."

Of course not. That's what a business degree is for.

generaltso:

"With that said, going to an aviation school will open additional doors for you... sometimes people don't think about this stuff.

Internships with airlines (not possible through non-aviation school"

Excellent point. ERAU facilitated 3 internships for me - one year at a successful fractional, one at an aviation museum, and another with a name-brand FBO at a large Class B airport. I'm not here to champion ERAU (or any other aviation program), and there are problems just like anywhere else, but in this case they have delivered on every promise they have made to me.

Regards,

greg20

Edited for typos.

Last edited:
I'm probably in the minority . . . .

My degree is in Accounting, but I got it long before I started flying. Having said that, I like an aviation degree. I was always impressed with the excellent aviation education our Riddlers had. They were well schooled in a bunch of non-flying-specific areas, such as systems, flight phys, and English. I had a few issues with some of their on-campus ground school, but overall I felt they were knowledgable.

Speaking from my own training experience, instead of receiving ground school the way I did, which consisted primarily of reading books and memorizing the ASA test materials, I would have gone back to college, to ERAU or someplace, and taken a second B.S., in Aeronautical Science.

I think what matters most is that you have a degree. Having a college education in anything is always an advantage if you must look elsewhere besides aviation. Now, having said that, if you choose a non-aviation major, get it in something you like. You'll do better in school and learn better.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back