• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aviation books - Any recommendations?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Stephen Coonts book about the Stearman biplane ride around the country is Cannibal Queen. Other good ones:

Flight of Passage by Rinker Buck - about two teenagers who restore a cub and fly coast to coast in the fifties. Not informative, but fun.

TAKEOFF! by Bonnie Tiburzi - autobiographical account of one of the first female airline pilots in U.S. I think I heard about it here on FI. Good read.

Fate is the Hunter - Ernest Gann - a classic with stories about flying DC2s, DC3s, etc. for American Airlines in its infancy.

Weather Flying by Robert Buck -- a must read for any serious pilot.

Merry Christmas!

- Brett

Aviation books and manuals

The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual by Brown and Holt, ISBN 0-8138-0023-4, is about much more than turbines. It pulls together turbines, systems, weather, union issues and even how to deal with class. The book has great diagrams and is written in plain English.

Redefining Airmanship by Tony Kern, ISBN 0-07-3484-9, is a great book. It is sort of an holistic approach to airmanship, how a good pilot is built from the ground up, and how great pilots always strive to hone their skills to the highest standards. One of our board members recommended this book to me, and I recommend it to you.

I second Bonnie Tiburzi. I first read her book seventeen years ago. It may be about the first woman pilot to be hired by the airlines, but it is more about how a young pilot built her career and dealt with the vagaries of the career.

I also second Pete Fusco and Fate is the Hunter, which I am currently rereading.

Don't forget both volumes of Flying the Line, and Hard Landing.

Is there really a book called Unemployment Compensation for Dummies? In that vein, you might obtain the latest edition of Every Employee's Guide to the Law by Lewin G. Joel, III.

Hope this helps. Happy reading!

Last edited:
I looked for Moon Dogs, and could not find it. Any help?

If you liked Yeager (about the first man to go Mach 1), try "The Lonely Sky" by William Bridgeman (the first man to go mach 2). Written much longer ago that Yeager, but similar topics. WWII and early test pilot stuff. Read it when I was a child and it inspired. Hard to find and out of print, but worth finding.

Considered fiction, but Illusions by Richard Bach is the best flying book I ever read.

Latest resources

Back