• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATP VMC Circling Limitation Removal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have an opportunity to get a fairly nice job in China. However, they require that my VMC circling limitation be removed from my ATP. That's fine and all, however, the way my licence reads is that it seems to be tied to each of my type ratings.
Below is how my ATP reads:
=========================================================

(Name) (Lic#)
XII Ratings

Airline Transport Pilot
Airplane Multiengine Land
B737; CL-65; EMB-145
Commercial Privileges
Airplane Single Engine Land

XII Limitations

English Proficient
ATP Circ. Apch. - VMC Only
B737 CL-65 EMB-145 Circ. Apch. - VMC Only
B737 SIC Privileges Only

=========================================================

So my question is this:
Do I have to get the limitation removed from each of my type ratings to satisfy my ATP circling approach restriction? Thanks.

If I am not mistaken, it's just the airplane that you will be flying there. If it's the 737, then only the limitation for the 737 needs to be removed.

Make sure the agency you are working through understands what your ticket says and what the limitation is for. If your are coming over here to fly something you are not yet rated for which I find very interesting, then it shouldn't apply.

Do I have to get the limitation removed from each of my type ratings to satisfy my ATP circling approach restriction? Thanks.

I think you have a general VMC circling restriction on your ATP. My ATP only shows the restriction on my type rating, not the ATP. Having said that my license was issued in March 2008 so it could be different what the FAA does now. I assume that you got your ATP issued when you upgraded (with the usual 121 circling restriction), hence your general circling limitation on your ATP. Be safe, and call a FSDO. They should tell you what to do.

Regarding China: A word of caution. It might be a sweet gig, but the selection process and criteria is very odd, to say the least. Do a search in this forum, before you decide to spend a considerable amount of $$$ and time.

Good luck.

3 3 5

I agree with the above post, it would appear that you have a general restriction against your ATP. I would also advise that you check with your FSDO (and then maybe a second, different FSDO to see if you get the same info). I'm guessing that you could probably do an approach with a circling maneuver in any multi-engine aircraft with an FAA designated examiner and get it removed (I'm talking the general ATP circling restriction - not those associated with your type ratings).

I'd check with your agency and see what they tell you that you will need regarding the Chinese. Who knows, they may want to see at least one unrestricted type on your license or something else.

if you get the restriction removed from one of your type ratings (i.e. B737), then the general restriction is removed from your ATP (assuming your type rating is an ATP type rating). China operators will only be concerned about the type that you will fly.

As others have mentioned, the pay looks good in China, but there are plenty of pitfalls there. I've heard horror stories and I also know guys who are very happy over there.

Got2Fly

Here is an interesting twist:

I am rated SIC only in the B737, if I do a PC in the 737, get the limitation removed, will the ATP read something along the lines of: Circ. Appch. Only approved for SIC??

Here is an interesting twist:

I am rated SIC only in the B737, if I do a PC in the 737, get the limitation removed, will the ATP read something along the lines of: Circ. Appch. Only approved for SIC??
Why not just do a PIC type ride?

Latest resources

Back