ATC without joining the military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bobs98tlr

Even though im still going to the military i was currious how you could get to be an ATC'er without going military. I know theres a school in Oklahoma City that trains new controllers for the FAA but who pays for it and how do you get into that deal? I know theres a school in Minnesota that trains as well but you have to have a 2 year degree first, plus i herd they arent going to have enough funding for this next year to continue with the school.

Either way, with all the ATC jobs they are looking at the next 10 years how can someone get into the being in a postion to be a controller withoug going military? Thanks

Thanks for the help gkrangers. Anyones one else with any opinions on how to get in or a good roads to take and why?

http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18

While most are from the UK on that board, many are also from the US. There's also a supervisor from the FAA regarding the southern ATC sector running around on that board - he helped me a few times sofar.

Maybe you'll find more information on there - but if you do ask the same question on that board, specify its for the US.

I think there is actually a test reference book at major book stores for the ATC entrance exam or something to that effect. I know I've seen it in the reference/study guide section when browsing. Don't expect to get assigned to Honolulu tower right out of training with the FAA. Expect the Northeast somewhere, or maybe BFE.

the ATC system works like any airline... you bid for the place you want to be at. Most likely, if your seniority is low, you're gonna end up at the butt of the world ;)

Actually, this is more theory than practice. The FAA has advised NATCA, the controller union, that the 850 controllers hired in 2005 will be placed in busy ARTCC facilities. LA, NY and CLE centers are critically understaffed by all measures. This is great for getting to the big bucks quick but it means you may have to relocate. Most new hires will continue to go to busy places especially if the FAA moves forward with its privitization agenda. Once you're in the system, seniority is only one of several factors that go into scoring your application when competing for promotions or transfers. Higher education, pilot certs, veteran preference, etc add points to your score. With ATC, you wont be flying but it can be a great career choice if you value security.

bobs98tlr said:
Even though im still going to the military i was currious how you could get to be an ATC'er without going military. I know theres a school in Oklahoma City that trains new controllers for the FAA but who pays for it and how do you get into that deal? I know theres a school in Minnesota that trains as well but you have to have a 2 year degree first, plus i herd they arent going to have enough funding for this next year to continue with the school.

Either way, with all the ATC jobs they are looking at the next 10 years how can someone get into the being in a postion to be a controller withoug going military? Thanks

I could never be ATC why?

Because 9 out of the 10 voice in my head don't like me!

mattpilot said:
the ATC system works like any airline... you bid for the place you want to be at. Most likely, if your seniority is low, you're gonna end up at the butt of the world ;)
Don't know where you got that information, but it's wrong. Seniority plays very little role in determining where controllers are assigned.

Latest resources

Back