Asthma

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SonicPig

I had someone ask me recently if an Asthmatic can obtain a medical. Does anyone know?

Thanks,
The Pig.

Yes they can. I had asthma when I first obtained my first class medical. When you take your first class with an AME he will send your diangosis to Oklahoma City and it will take several months for the FAA to review it.

Usually, if the asthma is moderate and can be treated/prevented with traditional mediciations you should have no problem.

cathaywannabe said:
Yes they can. I had asthma when I first obtained my first class medical. When you take your first class with an AME he will send your diangosis to Oklahoma City and it will take several months for the FAA to review it.

Usually, if the asthma is moderate and can be treated/prevented with traditional mediciations you should have no problem.

Thanks forr the info.

The secret number is 12. Childhood asthma. No occurences since age 12. Yes, you had it, but it doesn't bother you any more. Are you taking anything for it? No.

Strongly advise you contact leftseat.com for some specifics.

I have asthma presently and have had it since a kid. I use an inhaler for emergencies only and had no problem getting my 1st class medical.

Last edited:
Each time I go in for my first class, I bring a current note from my asthma doctor stating which meds I'm taking, and that I've had no attacks in the preceding months since my last medical. Essentially, keep your butt out of the emergency room and you'll be fine.
The AME in Oklahoma will send you a letter stating that you don't "qualify for a medical, but we have decided to issue you a Special Issuance Certificate" instead. It will also probably have a 1 year limitation on it, rather than the standard 2 or 3.

Oh that letter from the FAA saying "you don't qualify for a medical"... turned my stomach until I read, "but we have decided to issue you a Special Issuance Certificate" instead. Phew! What a relief!

My FAA Class 1 medical is valid for Class 1 and Class 2 privilages only. Then I have to have another medical, ie they feds won't allow my Class 1 medical to lapse into a class 3.

When I go back to the AME for the first 6-month Class 1 renewal I can just go as normal. However the second visit requires paperwork from my doctor. Basically it just states what medication I am on and the dosage. I also have a FEV1 test with the nurse before the doctor writes the letter.

I had Asthma diagonised on St Davids Day (Patron Saint of Wales 1st March) when I was 11. I'm 29 now and have never been to hospital for anything whatsoever including Asthma. I use a ventolin inhaler and a preventive inhaler (can't remember the name as its at home and I'm in work on nights). I can play sport, cycle and do everything a non-asthmatic person can do.

Then my eyesight...

Funny that my eye sight is 20/20 in my left eye BUT my right eye is only correctable to 20/30 (20/25 on a good day). They FAA initially asked for a report but they found it good enough to not even mention this in the letter. The AME has said in my files it says to issue the medical as long as the right eye is not worse than 20/30 corrected. The (at least) yearly check due to asthma keeps that in line as well I expect.

Not sure if it helped my case but I had about 500 hours of flight time from my home country (UK) before obtaining my FAA Class 1 medical.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back