ASA questions......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fighterdude

Can any experienced ASA pilots answer some questions for me please.....

1. A New-Hire CRJ pilot based in DFW can expect to be on reserve for how long approximately?

2. How long is the upgrade to captain in the CRJ in DFW?

3. What is the current pay for a first year First Officer?

4. What is the typical uniform worn by the pilots? Do they wear leather jackets?

5. What is the overall morale and atmosphere of flying from Dallas-FT Worth?

Thank you very much in advance for your responses......

signed,
Future ASA Pilot

1. A New-Hire CRJ pilot based in DFW can expect to be on reserve for how long approximately? Depends how many lines. They put 29 FO positions on the November prelims for DFW RJ FO. If we kept the same number of lines, you'd be on reserve quite a while. Up to now it's only been a couple months.

2. How long is the upgrade to captain in the CRJ in DFW? I don't have my seniority list handy, but the junior award on the Nov. prelims went to 1032 out of 1500 or so, I'm guessing about 2 to 2.5 years. Brasilia went to 1459, about 3 months.

3. What is the current pay for a first year First Officer? $19.02 on all aircraft.

4. What is the typical uniform worn by the pilots? Do they wear leather jackets? Yes, but it's not pay-deductible like the rest of the uniform (it's optional).

5. What is the overall morale and atmosphere of flying from Dallas-FT Worth? Much better than in ATL. The rampers, gate agents, ops, everyone is easier to deal with.

1. It varies greatly. Could be a month, could be a year. It depends when you come on line and how much hiring continues behind. Difficult to predict at best.

2. Current DFW CRJ CA is about a March 2000 hire. On the Nov prelims it was August 2000, but they may not hold up on the finals.

3. Current contract 1st year $19.12 2d year $33.81. Of course we are in contract negotiations right now so that will change.

4. Typical monkey suit. We are authorized to wear the leather jacket in lieu of the sport coat. It is optional and purchased at your expense.

5. Morale is good. Great bunch of people to work with. The operation runs pretty smooth, and even when it hits a snag everyone seems to try their best. The people I work with are the best part of the job. Really great pilot group. I think you would like it immensely.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Best of luck to you and hope to see you out on the line.

Fighterdude,

You are obviously a Navy or Marine aviator. Are you really considering ASA for employment? Have things gotten that bad that you cannot get a job at ATA, SWA, JetBlue, AirTran, etc.?

If the answer to these questions is yes, then welcome to ASA. It is probably the best place to wait out these difficult times in the airline industry. I'm glad to see us attracting more experienced people.

You shold be able to hold E-120 Capt. in DFW within a few (maybe 6 months), that is if we continue to fly them.

The leather jacket from Perrone Aviation Apparel is around $350. It's a great jacket, and I highly recommend it.

Yes, it's that bad....

ASA is one of the few commuter airlines that has numorous training bonuses compared to other commuters. I will obviously will not say them because ASA could change the policy.

This is not to start a flame but the majority of the major airlines have furloughed and continue to furlough while the commuter divisions grow and are hiring. I'm surprised the pay for training has not been implemented again for commuter pilots.

Southwest is now requiring a 737 type included in the application.
AirTran, ATA, JetBlue, Fed Ex, UPS and Southwest have 12,000 plus applications on file per airline. Thats as tall as a 4 drawer filing cabinet.

JetBlue's competitive hours are 8000 TT with 3000 hours PIC of jet over 20,000 lbs. Airbus time is a plus, AB type helps also. This is for the civilian pilots. Military pilot time is less. JetBlue wants an even mixture of civilian and military pilots.

There are about 2500 pilots that fit the competitive hours for JetBlue. Included in the 2500 are USAirways pilots that have been at USAir over 12 plus years.

Thanks for everyone's inputs.....it is really appreciated and I look forward to flying the line with you guys and gals.....
fighterdude

Ok, I have a question. Actually all the same questions that FighterDude had except in regards to the ATL base.
Also, does anyone know if Perrone will redo the inside of the leather jacket? I have one from Continental Express and If I could use that it would be awesome. I think I had heard some guys talking about that.

Re: Yes, it's that bad....

stb said:
ASA is one of the few commuter airlines that has numorous training bonuses compared to other commuters. I will obviously will not say them because ASA could change the policy.

Yes stb, I know how bad it is, I was furloughed too. I am just surprised that a Navy/Marine Fighter Pilot can not get a job at a place like SWA or JetBlue. I would think that they would much rather hire a guy right out of the military rather that someone on furlough. Being furloughed seem to be the kiss of death for finding another airline job.

I am at ASA, but I am not aware of the training bonuses that you mentioned. I want my training bonus!

Nobody is hiring besides..

Fed Ex and JetBlue.
ATA and AirTran are starting new classes in the upcoming months while Fed Ex has stopped for the holiday season.

A couple of bonuses, at most commuters, new hirers have to pay for their hotel. Some wont pay guarantee til after training is complete. Freedom Airlines is one.
The big one is keeping your number. Comair requests the signature on the bottom line.
There are a couple of other "bonuses" for the furloughed major pilot turned new hire at ASA.

Leather Jacket

"The leather jacket from Perrone Aviation Apparel is around $350. It's a great jacket, and I highly recommend it."

Is that with an ASA employee discount?:eek:

See Ya in ATL

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back