• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Pilots: Time to Consider PBS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How do you know that? Did your MEC tell you that? Oh wait, they haven't told you anything because they haven't taken the time to actually find out!

I don't need my MEC to to tell me. I understand enough about how different PBS systems award to understand the logic of the system. Why don't you tell me how SmartPref does NOT award on the same logic as Carmen and AOS. The front ends are different but the actual engine that drives the final awards are based on the same philosophy.

While work rules are important, what you can NOT regulate is the basic award logic that they system is based on. If you suppress how high the global constraints go, you are effectively handcuffing the system with NO way on the back side to get an award that will work. You simply have to accept that SmartPref in bases such as EWR, will have a globally constrained group that will make HALF your line holders. It is in the videos on the Crewing Solutions website.

I don't need my MEC to to tell me. I understand enough about how different PBS systems award to understand the logic of the system. Why don't you tell me how SmartPref does NOT award on the same logic as Carmen and AOS. The front ends are different but the actual engine that drives the final awards are based on the same philosophy.

While work rules are important, what you can NOT regulate is the basic award logic that they system is based on. If you suppress how high the global constraints go, you are effectively handcuffing the system with NO way on the back side to get an award that will work. You simply have to accept that SmartPref in bases such as EWR, will have a globally constrained group that will make HALF your line holders. It is in the videos on the Crewing Solutions website.

If this is supposedly true, then why hasn't your MEC made the same point in a written communication to all those who aren't as astute as you supposedly are showing how their research and trial runs support these claims? Maybe because they can't prove this to be true? Or because they can't?

How do you know that? Did your MEC tell you that? Oh wait, they haven't told you anything because they haven't taken the time to actually find out!

Here we go again......

And really, maybe he is smart or researched it himself or called the developer. Does his MEC REALLY have to tell him something to be able to find out or have knowledge about it? Nevets, do you think we all are just lemmings that need our MEC to tell us, or it isn't so? Your reply was dumb.

Here we go again......

And really, maybe he is smart or researched it himself or called the developer. Does his MEC REALLY have to tell him something to be able to find out or have knowledge about it? Nevets, do you think we all are just lemmings that need our MEC to tell us, or it isn't so? Your reply was dumb.

Still ignoring the original point. Why hasn't your MEC stated its facts and opinions? That is my ONLY point. Not whether some resourceful pilots did their hours of extensive research and testing of different PBS software. Also has NOTHING to do with whether you are lemmings or not. It's about your MEC stating what they are for and against and empirical evidence of that stance. If they don't state it and stand behind it by putting it in writing, then it makes it convenient for them to deny anything and everything, which they probably do on a weekly basis when pilots call them.

Last edited:
Still ignoring the original point. Why hasn't your MEC stated its facts and opinions? That is my ONLY point. Not whether some resourceful pilots did their hours of extensive research and testing of different PBS software. Also has NOTHING to do with whether you are lemmings or not. It's about your MEC stating what they are for and against and empirical evidence of that stance. If they don't state it and stand behind it by putting it in writing, then it makes it convenient for them to deny anything and everything, which they probably do on a weekly basis when pilots call them.

Wow Nevets. Looks like you really have a huge ax to grind with our MEC. Is this because they're not rolling over and playing ball with your MEC? The ASA side of the pilot group supports our MEC, unlike what's been going on with your side of the house. Not only was the seeked recall denied, I think you could say it was CRUSHED, by a landslide.

Information from our MEC isn't top secret. They'll fill you in on everything you want to know. All you have to do is email them, phone them, or just stop by their office on the way in to work. It's not a top secret Skull and Bones operation they have over there.

As for the memo- they've put out a dozen or better of those. When the PBS system was being looked at, we got many relating to PBS systems, the pro's and con's of each, and versatility of said systems. Why does beating a dead horse over and over and over and over and over again really matter, with the use of a current memo about the same old news. Frankly, it doesn't matter what they publish, it doesn't change the rock hard truth that we have one of the best PBS systems in the AIRLINE industry, and that the majority of the pilots like it.

Now, having said that, I will also say that if I have an issue with scheduling, and the bidding process, it hasn't got anything to do with PBS. It does, however, have quite a bit to do with the pairing construction. That's where the bulk of our issues lay, and where the bulk of our time needs to be spent finessing.......

Wow Nevets. Looks like you really have a huge ax to grind with our MEC. Is this because they're not rolling over and playing ball with your MEC? The ASA side of the pilot group supports our MEC, unlike what's been going on with your side of the house. Not only was the seeked recall denied, I think you could say it was CRUSHED, by a landslide.

Information from our MEC isn't top secret. They'll fill you in on everything you want to know. All you have to do is email them, phone them, or just stop by their office on the way in to work. It's not a top secret Skull and Bones operation they have over there.

As for the memo- they've put out a dozen or better of those. When the PBS system was being looked at, we got many relating to PBS systems, the pro's and con's of each, and versatility of said systems. Why does beating a dead horse over and over and over and over and over again really matter, with the use of a current memo about the same old news. Frankly, it doesn't matter what they publish, it doesn't change the rock hard truth that we have one of the best PBS systems in the AIRLINE industry, and that the majority of the pilots like it.

Now, having said that, I will also say that if I have an issue with scheduling, and the bidding process, it hasn't got anything to do with PBS. It does, however, have quite a bit to do with the pairing construction. That's where the bulk of our issues lay, and where the bulk of our time needs to be spent finessing.......

If you don't want to beat a dead horse, then stop replying to my beatings.

I don't know what your MEC's position is on smartpref. And neither do your pilots! That's my only point. Sure, they may lie to those same dozen pilots that call and email them on a relatively regular basis. But what about the other 1500? Why does your MEC disenfranchise them? Why don't they just put it in writing for anybody to read? WHY? That's my ONLY point! And to date, NO ONE has even attempted to address that. I think they are secretly for it and just hiding it. Prove me wrong.

Now your turn to beat the horse.;)

If you don't want to beat a dead horse, then stop replying to my beatings.

I don't know what your MEC's position is on smartpref. And neither do your pilots! That's my only point. Sure, they may lie to those same dozen pilots that call and email them on a relatively regular basis. But what about the other 1500? Why does your MEC disenfranchise them? Why don't they just put it in writing for anybody to read? WHY? That's my ONLY point! And to date, NO ONE has even attempted to address that. I think they are secretly for it and just hiding it. Prove me wrong.

Now your turn to beat the horse.;)

The fact that you are this mad at our MEC proves they are doing a good job.:laugh:

Latest resources

Back