Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MetroSheriff

Hittin' the road...
Well I'm one of the lucky folks getting the boot out of DFW. We're from the west coast so SLC will be closer to the roots.

Any of the good folks at Delta or SkyWest that could shed some light on areas to house shop for suburbanite types with two young kids (under 5). Might consider downsizing to a townhouse to live up in a ski area. Feasible???

Good schools are a major factor.

Any advice or thoughts on a relocation to SLC would be greatly appreciated.

PM if neccessary.

Thanks in advance.

Just stay away from the Kearns/West Valley area. Most areas are very family friendly.

Definitly stay away from the westside of the valley,that includes kerns and west valley. The best places to look are sandy,draper,and holiday. School on this side are good and so are the neighborhoods.Housing here is still very resonable.

I have a Skywest pal who lives in the Pinebrook area, just shy of Park City. He says it is cheaper than Park City but still has the Ski-town feel. The schools are good according to him, and the drive is 30-45 minutes from the airport. Park City, Deer Valley, and the Canyons ski resorts are within 10 minutes.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I live in Sandy. It is about 15 miles south of the city and is a 25 minute drive to the employee parking lot. Everything you could possibly need is within close proximity ( a couple of miles). It's a clean area and is also close to the ski resorts (Snowbird, Solitude, Alta, Brighton).

I live in an apartment, but homes seem to run about $100/square foot. I can't help you with schools since I don't have any kids. Other towns that are similar are South Jordan and Draper which are the neighboring towns.

My wife and I didn't have the slightest clue about SLC when we moved here. We decided on Sandy and have been happy with the results. Hopefully you can find someplace you like. Good luck!

Oh yeah, don't forget to bring a supply of beer with you. The stuff up here is pretty darn weak.

Don't let people scare you about the west side of the Valley, it is a great option. I grew up in West Jordan and had a great experience. I would recommend looking into Riverton and South Jordan. They are great places to raise a family and have a lot of new development, including new schools. You can take Bangerter Highway right to the airport which makes for an easy 20 min commute. The only problem is it puts you about 35-45 minutes from the ski resorts. Which means that less snow to shovel when it dumps. Good luck.

I think the 'west side' comment is referring to West Valley. When I lived there it was Granger, Kearns and Magna. Great place! Since then it has headed downhill. My two younger brothers are West Valley cops and I can attest to first hand knowledge of where not to live. Doobie is right though, Riverton, South Jordan area are good places. Herriman, which is more southwest from there is a bit more open if you are looking for some space. As reported also, Sandy, Midvale, Draper are nice also.

Latest resources

Back