Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DrunkIrishman

Cocaine is a helluva drug
I believe that the decision has already been made, from Skywest, to replace a set amount of ASA flying with Skywest. Under that logic, any reduction in contract demands by the Union would only result in a working agreement that is less than it could have been. In other words, if the Lynn Jackson ticket wins and takes aggressive and concessional (to what is currently demanded by the Union, not actually concessional) action to resolve the contract, ASA will still lose the 700's and future 900's. Therefore, I would rather ask for a better standard than to take much less and hope to keep what I believe is already gone.

The Pilot Working Agreement is not the only driver behind Jerry's decisions. ASA's performance is dismal at best. Conversely, Skywest's is better. I do not believe that the "Atlantitude" is the reason for this. If that was the case, then I would not get the good service and a smile from the ladies at Popeyes! The ASA pilot contract is only a small part in the big picture.

For those that think Lynn et al is a "change" that will spur a new contract...I encourage you to discuss your concerns with her as well as with ASA's CNC. Some of you probably already have done this and I both thank you and respect your informed opinion.

Lastly, we are all frustrated with the contract situation. Whatever your feelings are on how to fix the problem...please...make an informed decision rather than merely voting for a change. I question the Jackson group's motives. The last time we had a Rep vote, Lynn ran by word of mouth and it was a real hush-hush kind of thing. I never understood that, but I certainly do not trust that.

P.S. The book, Getting to Yes is a very good tool to better understand the negotiations process. I highly recommend it to all.

While "Atlantatude" isn't the sole reason for our dismal performance it is part of it. Mix in runway construction, weather, too many planes, not enough gates, a shortage of rampers, inept management and pissed of pilots and you get a recipe for failure.

Performance plus now! LMAO!

I believe that the decision has already been made, from Skywest, to replace a set amount of ASA flying with Skywest. Under that logic, any reduction in contract demands by the Union would only result in a working agreement that is less than it could have been.
Maybe, maybe not.

SkyWest's pattern has been to threaten our MEC with proposals - two that come to mind are:
  • (1) Accept the concessionary proposal (the one with deep cuts to the -700 guys) or you will lose SLC.
  • We said, "we don't buy airplanes and will not accept that contract - take them"
  • Three months later, SkyWest made good on their threat.
  • (2) Then SkyWest said accept this proposal or you will lose the first 6 900's.
  • We responded that we did not have the opportunity to consider preferential bidding, that the company would not make a counter proposal to our movement and we still did not like the offer. We also were a little smug that SkyWest did not have the 900 approved on their Certificate, did not have the over water exemption and that costs would be higher to move this airplane to SkyWest to fly out of Atlanta.
  • Two, or three, months later, SkyWest gets the 900 in operation (copying our paperwork with FAA approval) and they announce to shareholders that allocating the 900's to SkyWest is costing more money than what was anticipated. However, none of the investors asked the follow up question, "why would you want to do something that increases expenses?"
Nothing is fixed, nothing is certain. Jerry Atkin has the power and the inclination to move airplanes even if it increases SkyWest's costs. He is making enough money to spend a few dollars beating up ALPA. Besides he just saved a bunch of money on his airplane insurance by calling GEICO. (kidding about GEICO, not kidding about his saving some money by trying something unique)

The ASA pilots will probably end up at the same point regardless who is our Status Reps. The pilots need a job more than SkyWest needs a bunch of guys with 7 plus years of longevity. I also trust that regardless who our Reps are, that they will listen to the pilots and represent them - using the Wilson data and feedback from the line guys.

Jerry Atkin already said ASA could score a tremendous contract, but he would simply transfer all the airplanes away. Our MEC knows that we have no scope to protect us. In our union communications we constantly hear they are working towards a contract that serves the ASA's pilots needs while allowing ASA to remain competitive. That tells me they know there is a trade off between jobs and our contract and they are trying to find the best balance.

Pilot hiring should pick up in 2007 and possibly that will give the ASA MEC a little more power. I hope so. Negotiating a contract without scope while an alter ego airline eats away at your job base is very difficult.

Last edited:
Fins, who are you?

I have actually grown to respect your opinions. You seem to always put some thought and logic in your post.

Have you considered yourselves as the problem??????

Don't you Skywest guys have you own message board?

Oh, your a CHQ guy that thinks we should all fly for free so we can get more airplanes so we can upgrade in a week!!

Your right, we as pilots are the problem. We should all stand as one to improve safety and the quality of our contracts.

Hopefully you have 15K in a cessna and don't really know anything about a career in aviation. Otherwise, Sky West and CHQ are hiring!

If you look at our completion and on time performance at SLC,CVG, and outstations it is always well above our goals. However ATL is always pulling the numbers down. Its the same crews on all those flights so it is clearly not the pilots.

National ALPA could stop all this with ONE threat to the SKYWEST PILOTS= ENJOY working at Skywest !!!! BUt I am sure they will not, Come on ALPA will need to see something, or lets vote in a in house union.

I have spoken with the ASA pilots and it seems to be a big pissing contest between Delta/ASA management for procrasternating talks with you all and now SkyWest which seems to be trying but not giving a inch.

I can't seem to get a stright answer from any pilot at ASA but it seems to me now that some of the old SLC based ASA Pilots would like to vote out the Union (or maybe they are just BSing me), work with the SkyWest pilots to merge the two groups into one and work with 3 pay scales or OO to bid in ALPA....Is this logical or practical to both pilot groups? It seems to me that SkyWest will do what Delta is doing with ComAir, putting the flying up for bid but in SkyWest case, just move planes to SkyWest, taking over old ASA routes to cut cost for SkyWest Inc and Delta!...now with that said...can some of the ASA pilots explain what is going on? Is it money? New work rules or what? I can never get a answer from any pilot at ASA....

Don't get me wrong, I support whatever you guys do...Do you all want to merge the pilots groups into one or keep it as two? It just seems SkyWest bought these problems....

Latest resources

Back