• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Arrivals into Mem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Naw, we have a union now. I only have to do 7 releases a day. I'm set.

That is a cool video though.

Call me old fashioned but..

Looking at the weather depicted. Can weather flow thru Memphis that way. I don't think I ever saw the storms moving that way..

Pretty cool though..

J... anything to add.

Midnight Brit
Silent on the air..

Not to pee in any dispatchers cherrios....but do you think those aircraft were actually rerouted by a dispatcher with the precision to just circumnavigate those cells? Or do you think that the crews were using the old mark 1 eyeball supported by onboard radar. Other airlines may be different, but with us, many times a dispatchers description of the weather must be taken with a grain of salt...or enough for a pitcher of margarita's! Seems to always be level 1 or 2 and amazingly enough always dissipating. Others results may vary.

xj, I do believe the primary reason it was posted was to show the number of flights, not to imply that King Dispatcher single handedly rerouted everyone of those flights.

Sitting in the cockpit, you also have to realize that radar information we get is quite a bit less sensitive than you see on your ND/EHSI. It is typically 15 minutes old, so there's a good chance that you've already passed the cell we're telling you about.

xjcaptain said:
Not to pee in any dispatchers cherrios....but do you think those aircraft were actually rerouted by a dispatcher with the precision to just circumnavigate those cells? Or do you think that the crews were using the old mark 1 eyeball supported by onboard radar. Other airlines may be different, but with us, many times a dispatchers description of the weather must be taken with a grain of salt...or enough for a pitcher of margarita's! Seems to always be level 1 or 2 and amazingly enough always dissipating. Others results may vary.

you arrogant @$$hole. do you really think pilots navigated their way through those storms? it's a team effort. contrary to popular pilot belief, you need dispatchers. we are your best external resource for weather information. besides i think that most of the credit for this goes to atc. or can you go without them too?

xjcaptain, you peed in my cherrios. SS9E is correct about why I posted it. If you fly through a cell thats level 5 and the dispatcher said its a 1 or 2 you should let that dispatcher know right away. Radar images are not perfect by any means. That dispatcher would be able to inform the flights that are behind you.

What's interesting about this video is that out of all of the flights that were inbound to MEM, only 11 (my count) diverted. If you pay close attention, the flights that show up tagged with associated boxes are the diversion flights.

That ain't bad.

Last edited:
Very cool video! Thanks for the link. Gotta love watching the offloads...

I remember seeing another FedEx video a while back that was a 24-hour MEM view with some Zep (I think) playing in the background. Does anyone have that one?

ss9e said:
you arrogant @$$hole. do you really think pilots navigated their way through those storms?

Um.....yeah. I do. Once in awhile, I ask ATC which way guys are going around weather, but that's about it. Someone else said it.........your info can be old and therefore less reliable than what we are seeing real time. Ease up a bit, would you?

AF :cool:

Latest resources

Back