Are Boeing 747 winglets a CDL item?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

avrorj-85

I watched a Delta 747 take off today minus a winglet on the left wing. That seems like an awfully odd thing to have missing. Are winglets on the 747 CDL list and what restrictions would that bring with it? Just the curiousity of a Saab driver.

I watched a Delta 747 take off today minus a winglet on the left wing. That seems like an awfully odd thing to have missing. Are winglets on the 747 CDL list and what restrictions would that bring with it? Just the curiousity of a Saab driver.

It could have been the plane that was tagged in Manilla by a Qatar A330 while he was pushing back. If it was flying, it probably is legal, or that FO overlooked a HUGE discrepancy on the walkaround. I would think he might have come from Manilla via Nagoya, and maybe was flying to a facility to get that fixed? Just a guess.

Godspeed!

OYS

Last edited:
From what I understand, yes, a single winglet on the B744 (as well as the MD-11) is a CDL item and carries a takeoff/enroute weight penalty and a fuel penalty...and that the amount of those penalties depend on the engine type installed.

(Disclaimer: I'm basing this on memory from shop-talk with other dispatchers. I've never personally dispatched the type.)

Last edited:

Do you really think a 747 crew would take off minus a winglet if it was not legal?

CDL 57-28-1

One may be missing provided performance limited wts are reduced. Blah... Blah.

Not a huge hit ( for a 747 )
Takeoff & Landing - 20,800lbs and enroute climb -10,000lbs

Does that CDL also require operational yaw dampers, too? I'm guessing that might be an issue at higher altitudes. . . . . or extra barf bags for the folks sitting in steerage.

It could have been the plane that was tagged in Manilla by a Qatar A330 while he was pushing back. If it was flying, it probably is legal, or that FO overlooked a HUGE discrepancy on the walkaround. I would think he might have come from Manilla via Nagoya, and maybe was flying to a facility to get that fixed? Just a guess.

Godspeed!

OYS

Or maybe it was broken off during push back or taxi out?

Latest resources

Back