applying without 1,000 hrs turbin pic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

temcgrew

I am about halfway to the 1,000 hour PIC mark, If I applied to southwest or JetBlue now would they throw my application out or keep it on file for so I could update it every other month? Or should I just wait until I hit the mark?

I agree that you should wait until you meet the stated minumums to apply. While SWA may indeed throw your app out, I believe the 2 year wait to re-apply is from an unsuccessful interview, and not just from applying before you meet the minumums. Besides, oppsahh is correct. They are not interviewing, and since they have over 200 pilots waiting in the pool and no classes scheduled until perhaps spring of next year, I would be in no hurry to apply.

JetBlue requires you complete their online application, and I believe I read on this board somewhere that if you attempt to apply without their stated minimums, the system will not accept your application. Keep in mind that JetBlue, in addition to requiring 1000 hrs turbine PIC, also requires 1000 hrs in aircraft with a max takeoff weight in excess of 20,000 lbs.

So, Jet Blue does not accept 1000pic in the Beech 1900, since it's
less than 20.000 lbs?
thanks

thanks for the input, Luckily I am flying a Lear-55 which weighs in at a whopping 21,750!!!

ksus, I am guessing you are based at spirit?

I disagree...

Every airline is different so before waiting to apply find out directly from the airline what their policy is.

Personally I would suggest applying as early as possible so a company can get you into there system and track your progress. Example, I put my app in with FedEx before I meet all the quals and before FedEx got the postal contract last year. Luckily I had my app in and had been updating my times because right after I met the mins FedEx got the postal contract and had to hire 500 pilots. Can you imagine how fortunate I feel now, very.

Another example, American Airlines had a "first in, first called" process a couple years back. As long as you meet Americans mins than whoever had there app in longer got the call first. I had better times than some of my friends but they had applied before me and got an interview. At United it is just the opposite. It didn't matter how long you had your app on file, the most qualified got the call first.

I got lucky but when I was trying to get that interview, any interview, I was wishing that I had put in my apps long before I did.

Best of luck.

Realistically, 1000 PIC turbine may not be as enticing to a hiring airline when there are thousands of guys on what could be permanent furlough with more than that + lots of heavy jet time.

Had a former co-worker who had 956 hours of PIC Turbine and a couple thousand hours of 737 time at US Airways as SIC. SWA sent him a letter stating that he needed 1000 PIC Turbine

Latest resources

Back