Apple computers and SWA & Fedex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

whiff

Buying a new computer and thinking of an ibook. Just curious how compatible it would be at SWA or Fedex as far as bidding. Any info would be great. thanks

I have been with FedEx for 5 yrs and have both types of computers; ibook and a toshiba. Accessing the pilot web sight and all interactions with it are the same on both computers.
The only difference would be in the 3rd party bidding software. I use a slick program called "FastBid" written and distributed by a FedEx pilot. As far as I know it is only for Windows based computers. I think there is another bidding program for Apple but I have never used it and don't know anything about it.
So, the bottom line is: no difference when accessing the company site.
Hope this helps.

All of the SWA software depends on Windows. If you buy an Apple you'll have get some sort of emulator to run the SWA stuff.

I run Virtual PC on my iBook to use BidPro software to bid at ATA. I got VPC 6 w/WindowsXP Home off of eBay for around 80-90 bucks. It works somewhat slowly since it is using software to emulate an Intel chip, but works fairly well. I generally only use the Windows environment to run BidPro and the BMW diagnostic and parts software I have, and leave most of the internet stuff to MacOS10.2.8. I do have an old version of MS Office on there so I can write letters and open documents, and Netscape to get on the internet if I absolutely have to.

Make sure you have a bunch of RAM, though (at least 384 megs, preferably the limit of 640 megs) if you want to get the best performance out of it.

With all due respect to my colleague ...

I have 3 Macs and 1 PC. All of the SWA-specific software works on my Macs with no need for an emulation program. (Thanks and many kudos to one of our FOs who figured this out!) This includes the bigee -- Maestro -- our scheduling software; all of the web-based applications, as well as periodic CDs issued by our training department.

Third party bidding software (like WBid) does not currently work on my Mac without emulation; however, the FO I previously mentioned has a bid sort program in the final stages of beta testing. Once his product is complete, there will be no need to Windows.

In fact, since my PC has crashed (again -- is this redundant? PC=Crash), I may not spend the time or money to revive it since its only usefulness up till now has been WBid.

If you want a Mac, don't let the fear of SWA-proprietary software scare you away.

Apple works at SWA

It is true that SWA's computer system is Windows based. However, there is an extremely intelligent SWA FO that has written the Mac software necessary to do MAESTRO without the need for Virtual PC. He has also written a very user friendly Bid program as well. To get the software you can log onto the SWAPA website, go to the forum and search for Mac connection info. I forget the exact thread and path. You can accomplish everything SWA using Virtual PC as stated in a previous post, but there if definitely a much smoother/faster/cheaper solution. The cost of the software.....FREE! (Unless I meet Mark during a layover, in which case the cost will be the number of SWA beers he can drink times $1)

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like I can buy my nice small crash free ibook w/out any worries!

vx9.tc said:
It is true that SWA's computer system is Windows based. However, there is an extremely intelligent SWA FO that has written the Mac software necessary to do MAESTRO without the need for Virtual PC. He has also written a very user friendly Bid program as well. To get the software you can log onto the SWAPA website, go to the forum and search for Mac connection info. I forget the exact thread and path. You can accomplish everything SWA using Virtual PC as stated in a previous post, but there if definitely a much smoother/faster/cheaper solution. The cost of the software.....FREE! (Unless I meet Mark during a layover, in which case the cost will be the number of SWA beers he can drink times $1)
Dang! I wish BidPro would write a Mac version. I took my monthly bidding time from 7-8 hours to 15 minutes by using BidPro software, but I could probably get that down to 10 minutes if I didn't have to wait for Windows XP to boot and run the program.

I would suggest, however, that if you have the funds you spring for the Powerbook over the iBook. I've been carrying several iBooks around the country with me for the past three years, and have some issues with their durability for hard use. The plastic case seems to be a little less rigid than it needs to be, so any torqueing of the case helps speed along the display and graphics chip troubles that are so eloquently described on apple's user forums. The metal case and tougher construction of the Powerbooks would add reliability.

Granted, I put my iBooks through pretty hard use - my Kensington computer bag is my flight bag, and it goes with me everywhere I go. I've had to send my 12 month old iBook G3/900 back twice to get the logic board replaced after the display fizzled. Supposedly, the new G4 iBooks lack this common problem, but when it comes time to buy another work computer I'm gonna drop the extra $800 for a 15 inch Powerbook. If you don't demand as much from a laptop, however, the iBook has nearly all the features of the more expensive unit for a very reasonable price... and I can watch two DVD movies back to back on one charge of the year old battery - which is nice.

Latest resources

Back