Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
The APA and USAPA have recently lauded the success of the Spirit strike, seeking to get leverage for themselves what the Spirit pilots have worked hard for.
http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1997688,00.html
http://usairlinepilots.org/us-airwa...lots-in-quest-for-industry-standard-contract/

The issue is, if Spirit was not ALPA, then they could not have conducted a successful strike. (TA pending, yet APA and USAPA seem to like things so far).

The APA tried to strike during the Clinton Admin, and barely saved face. They were underfunded, unorganized and lacked external support. They asked for the PEB from Clinton because the risk of failure was too great. The PEB saved their bacon. Combine that with the 45M legal action, the APA has had its moments, but has yet to prove itself effective.

The lack of ability for USAPA to conduct an effective strike is self evident.

The bottom line is, with combined resources, real strike experience, a large number of different pilot groups, a MCF, and a union which is truly global AND a part of the AFL-CIO..... call it ALPA or whatever you want.... the fact is.... in house unions ability to strike is really in question.

The NPA left in house status for reason...... and they are next to gain the benefits off the Spirit strike.... if Airtran pilots were still NPA would they have the same leverage??

Without a creditable threat to strike, management knows they can delay and play as they will.....

To conduct a successful strike a union needs:

Organization and experience
Alliances with labor (AFL-CIO, IFALPA)
and of course, money.

"Curr Position: Fixing ALPA"

Fix ALPA?! Why?

ALPA is awesome and has been leading the way in pilot salaries for decades. Its amazing how many successful strikes ALPA has led and how many times ALPA pilot pay has rocketed.

And the pensions!! Gee, ALPA has done so good with the pensions too! And the vacations, and the rigs.... man...

Hell, without ALPA I couldn't even afford to buy a black magic marker to make a cardboard sign to use at the red light.

"Homeless retired pilot. Please help! Bless you."
(ALPA gave away my pension, and gave me this sign.)

Fix ALPA?! Why?

ALPA is awesome and has been leading the way in pilot salaries for decades. Its amazing how many successful strikes ALPA has led and how many times ALPA pilot pay has rocketed.

And the pensions!! Gee, ALPA has done so good with the pensions too! And the vacations, and the rigs.... man...

Hell, without ALPA I couldn't even afford to buy a black magic marker to make a cardboard sign to use at the red light.

Genius, pure genius!!! For a second (more like a fraction of one) I thought you were serious. Thanks for the laugh or cry, I can't decide which one to do.

The APA and USAPA have recently lauded the success of the Spirit strike, seeking to get leverage for themselves what the Spirit pilots have worked hard for.
http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1997688,00.html
http://usairlinepilots.org/us-airwa...lots-in-quest-for-industry-standard-contract/

The issue is, if Spirit was not ALPA, then they could not have conducted a successful strike. (TA pending, yet APA and USAPA seem to like things so far).

The APA tried to strike during the Clinton Admin, and barely saved face. They were underfunded, unorganized and lacked external support. They asked for the PEB from Clinton because the risk of failure was too great. The PEB saved their bacon. Combine that with the 45M legal action, the APA has had its moments, but has yet to prove itself effective.

The lack of ability for USAPA to conduct an effective strike is self evident.

The bottom line is, with combined resources, real strike experience, a large number of different pilot groups, a MCF, and a union which is truly global AND a part of the AFL-CIO..... call it ALPA or whatever you want.... the fact is.... in house unions ability to strike is really in question.

The NPA left in house status for reason...... and they are next to gain the benefits off the Spirit strike.... if Airtran pilots were still NPA would they have the same leverage??

Without a creditable threat to strike, management knows they can delay and play as they will.....

To conduct a successful strike a union needs:

Organization and experience
Alliances with labor (AFL-CIO, IFALPA)
and of course, money.

LOL! Without Alpa the APA kept their penions and lost less pay, plus, SWAPA increased their pay rates. How about the IPA, the envy of the industry. Boy those in house unions suck!! NOT!!

Alpa member, 9yrs, NEVER AGAIN!!!

if Airtran pilots were still NPA would they have the same leverage??

If the NPA were still here rather than ALPA, we would be far more focused on the internal scandal of the week than on bargaining leverage. The NPA was a joke, and the difference since joining ALPA has been night and day. You would have to search long and hard to find a single AirTran pilot that would like to dump ALPA and go back to being independent.

I know a handful of old mates that are there now that don't like ALPA. Not that they wanted the NPA BS as before, but they don't trust APLA and are all ex ALPA dudes.

Just sayin'

I like our indy union just fine.

For the record, I hope you guys hand Fornaro his ass. D-0-U-C-H_E! Good luck!

Last edited:
If the NPA were still here rather than ALPA, we would be far more focused on the internal scandal of the week than on bargaining leverage. The NPA was a joke, and the difference since joining ALPA has been night and day. You would have to search long and hard to find a single AirTran pilot that would like to dump ALPA and go back to being independent.

PCL, I truly hope you guys succeed.

Good luck

Fix ALPA?! Why?

Prater has kept his gigantic salarie and life time pension, that's what ALPO national does.

It's not in it for the pilots.

SWAPA is the success storie, ALPO sux.

SWAPA is the success storie, ALPO sux.
SWAPA enjoys a unique management other pilots groups can't control at thier own airline.

SWAPA buys services from ALPA it needs but can't provide for itself.

SWAPA is a part of CAPA.

Touting the Spirit strike as a success is a tad too early yet.......

Latest resources

Back