Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone know much about Lakes MX (Buccaneer)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AWACoff

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience doing annuals on these aircraft. What are the specific problems that pop up with these amphibs. Any serious problems with them in general? Thanks.

Float pylon and wingtip damage are common. Engine pylon and motor mount structures should be looked at closely. Corrosion is always an issue. Hull integrity and damage should aways be considered. Propeller corrosion can be an issue; the props often dont' get the cleaning they do, while attacked with corrosive exhaust gasses and heat.

Have a close look at the bottoms of the formers below the turtle deck for both corrosion and damage. Pay close attention to the hinge points also as they seem to have frozen bearing often if the owner is not vigilant in keeping them lubricated throughout the year.

Hey guys, thanks. What would you estimate an annual to cost (assuming NO major problems). Hydraulic gear/constant speed prop/amphib I imagine will raise the cost of an annual substantially above what a C172 costs. I'm just trying to get some preliminary numbers. Right now I'm estimating yearly fixed costs at $15,000/yr with loan/insurance/mx fund on a 10 year payoff. I'm just trying to see if my guess on the annual is close.

Awacoff

The problem is that very often, especially with the first inspection, a lot of previously unknown problems are undetected. I've seen a lot of first annuals cost owners six or nine thousand out the gate.

Without anything but the inspection, you can plan on a general range of between six hundred and twelve hundred dollars, ballpark.

As a general rule of thumb, I usuallly recommend spending your fuel cost per hour as a mx cost per hour. However, that goes out the window very quickl the first time you swap a cylinder or have anything that costs.

Latest resources

Back