Anyone in Illinois use I-Pass?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ILLINI

I just got I-Pass the other day and was reading the mounting instructions. It says to mount the transponder on the windshield behind the rear view mirror. I put it there and I can't see it while driving because it hides behind the rear view mirror, but I really don't like the way it looks from the outside at all!

Anyone have a better, more discrete, location for putting the transponder that doesn't interfere with the antenna picking up the code as you drive through?

Thanks

I put mine behind my mirror on the right of center. I don't see it at all, nor do I want to. Pretty discreet.

my parents both have them and they just keep them in their glove box or side pocket and put it on the dash when they go through

Here in Florida we have the same system, called Sunpass here, but I have seen people mounting on their dash and it works fine.

In my car I can mount it behind the mirror and still see it (for the most part).

i dont know about the units you have in illinois but in florida if the housing for your rearview mirror is big enough you can take the guts of the unit out of the case and stick it in the rearview mirror housing, totally stealth install

If you just leave it on the dash it won't always work - especially when you use the drive through lanes. You really don't want to have to defend yourself in traffic court on a toll violation, either, it really sucks.

Mount it on the right side and behind the rear view mirror. The new units don't even have a display on them so you never need to see it. Seems like half the cars driving around northern IL have the transponders, anyways, so you'll look like a successful suburban yup rather than like the commuter droid you think you are. I mean, you're not driving a 1979 Chevette or anything, are you?

No... not driving a '79 Chevette. A '00 Mustang, which is why I don't like the idea of having a big white square stuck on my windshield. Yeah, I can't see it while driving because it's hidden by the rear view mirror, but it would drive me nuts seeing that ugly thing on my windshield every time I walked up to my car! I'm the type of guy that loves to have a nice clean car and hates bumper stickers, village/city stickers on windows, or parking passes haging from the rear view mirror. I'm the one that every one makes fun of cause I like to keep my car looking like it just came off the lot.

I thought about mounting the transponder on the inside of my bumper or under the hood somewhere, but I think that might weaken the signal too much.

Keep the ideas coming!

I-Pass

I hold mine up to the windshield when I go through the toll and it usually always works. On 294 at the Cermak Toll, I have had it not register on me a few times......but screw um. They already got your money, right? So it really isnt like your cheating them. I have a buddy who is a trooper and he says that IDOT only goes after plates that consistently bust through the IPASS lanes and dont have a registered account...

I seem to have most of my problems on 294 at Cermak, too. I think that cashbox is somehow screwed up. I can't wait until I can blow through that place at 70 MPH like the one at 159th st, though.

Yo, Illini. You might try painting the back of the transponder some dark color. If it sits up in the window tint, you'd have to get way up close to see it from the outside.

Latest resources

Back