Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F/O

Smells like....
Just wondering what the little guy is like to fly....

Thx

Sad part is that most of the guys who fly them can only compare it to a light twin (if that)...

"ITS REALLY FAST!"

I PM'd my thoughts on the Eclipse to a member. I'll copy and paste with a couple minor changes:

The Eclipse is definitely the new star on the ramps these days. Even going out on training flights people want to come take a look and ask questions, or just call it the 'cute' jet. Its probably most similar in performance to a CJ1, though our Mmo is a little less at 0.64M. It can operate out of 4000' runways comfortably. Handling is like a sports car. Its great and responsive if theres little to no turbulence, but start adding it in and its a rough ride. Must be a stiff airframe. Single engine is a non event, it just doesn't yaw much with 900lbs thrust mounted so close to the centerline.

The avionics so far are nice, minus oversensitivity and lack of full functionality. I've only flown the pre-NG versions so far, and its nicer, easier than having analog gauges, but we only have roll/pitch/heading/altitude hold modes, DME (gps based), and NAV1&2. Navigating in the Caravan is easier right now. The NG1 version adds wx radar, terrain, TCAS I, and a better PFD/MFD thats perfected the sensitivity of the airspeed & stall warning, among other things. GPS navigation comes later, as well as full AP/FD and even autothrottle.

The only other thing about this plane is if you come in hot, you will float. The brakes are awesome, but that leaves too many getting on them early, flat-spotting a tire. Also, the Michelin's are wearing prematurely on the outer edges, getting down to the cords in 80 hours. It appears the landing gear are cambered incorrectly, but Eclipse has said its fine. We'll see.

I like the plane, jet performance, turboprop price. Reliability has been decent, early models have more issues. Its a tight fit to get up front, but its comfortable and relaxing for a couple hours, then you need to stretch, and theres no room for that.

Newest things: The throttle AD has been interesting to say little, and we finally have FIKI, though all our airframes require upgrades, ie. coatings, paint, and a new engine deice switch.

I flew one with a guy from Houston to Albany. I thought it was awesome, but like the other guy said I have only flown pistons so I'm probably not qualified to comment on it.

The Eclipse is a high altitude road block for everyone else but we can get a job done for half the price. Fuel burn at FL410 can be like 330 lbs. total, or less. It flies nicely and for landings it feels like a seminole that doesn't slow down as quick. The best part is if an owner needs to be someplace for like a week they usually send us home, cheaper to pay for the gas than hotels, cars, and perdiem for 2 pilots, depending of course how far away you are from home

Of course the Eclipse is the only jet ever certified that does not meet the single engine tubojet climb gradient requirements.

Eclipse requested an exemption on the grounds that the airplane was competing with cabin class twins and should only be required to meet their performance.

For some reason (influence perhaps?) the FAA, for the first time ever, agreed.

Therefore if you are in a jet and an engine fails you want to be sure it is not an Eclipse.

Of course the Eclipse is the only jet ever certified that does not meet the single engine tubojet climb gradient requirements

I don't know what that FAA gradient number is (I suppose it would be in ft/nm) but here are the performance numbers given on the website.

Single Engine Takeoff Climb at 5,000 ft (1,524 m) 3
At ISA + 15°C 705 ft / min

Their home airport of ABQ is 5300 ft and can get a lot hotter than ISA+15 in the summer.

Anyhow, are most operators flying these single pilot or is that looking to be too expensive on the insurance?

Latest resources

Back