Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody know the airnet guy that landed at bkv at 3:00 today?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dhc8fo said:
OK, I THINK I understood some of that one....

ohhhh contrare mon frare (in my best french accent).... NOWHERE in the AIM or the regs does it say that pattern entries are REQUIRED (and I have never heard of an "approved" pattern. What it does say is that the person at the lower altitude in the pattern does have the right of way but that he cannot use that as a means to cut someone off (which is what happened in MY case).

No, I would not have been cited in this case since the other four people in the pattern heard and saw everything and I was not in the wrong (and if it makes you feel better, one was an examiner on the field who I also talked to about this).

And as far as my "list" goes... you just wait. Once you get a little more experience, you will see just how small this community is. If you guys go around cutting off your brethren in the pattern just because you feel like it when he wants to make a straight in approach, word will spread that you are a dick and you won't be getting a lot of calls to sit right seat....

1. Get a life, and get over it.

2. Better yet, get a beer and get yourself laid.

Some of you folks whine too much. As far as "your list" goes, that just makes you sound like a serial killer. Refer back to rule #1 & 2.

I use to fly in the pattern all of the time and always gave way to larger and faster aircraft who were on an approach, strait in, who cares. They are probably going a lot faster that the aircraft in the pattern and will be out of your way in less than .0001 on the hobbs. Not a big deal.

Wait, I dont understand...the guy that did the straight in said something to the airport manager?

What could he possibly say to the airport manager?

wait, wait let me get this straight... who cares? Quit crying about how someone cut you off in the pattern on a message board, if you have a problem be a man, or a woman, and go and talk to the person. Don't be a little baby and complain about it on here.

It would have been a good thing to teach your student that this type of thing happens regularly at airports all over the country. You just talk to the a/c doing the straight in and coordinate with him. Extend your downwind a little if you have to. Its common courtesy and common practice. Don't tell your student that the pilot of the larger a/c is a jerk. You're just giving that student a foundation for future air rage.

8inMan said:
It would have been a good thing to teach your student that this type of thing happens regularly at airports all over the country. You just talk to the a/c doing the straight in and coordinate with him. Extend your downwind a little if you have to. Its common courtesy and common practice. Don't tell your student that the pilot of the larger a/c is a jerk. You're just giving that student a foundation for future air rage.

AMEN...

Where does it state that a pattern MUST be used at an airport???????? A straight in is just as "legal" per the FAR's as a full downwind entry to land at any airport. Does this airport have a tower???? Were YOU talking to the other a/c on final???? I know it is policy here, and taught very strongly that when approaching an uncontrolled field that we announce our position and give our intentions and then ask for "any traffic in the area." Now did the pilot do this...if so then you have just as much responsibility to respond and work out a sequence with him as he does with you. Now if he did not do any of this, then yes he was at fault, and he should have made a better effort...but then, were you talking to begin with and did you have your radios tuned correctly? Now before you jump on me about having your radios tuned correctly "ALL THE TIME" as a flight instructor, just let me tell you i make mistakes as well with them. I remember not too long ago taxing out at a controlled field (after the tower closed, so really an uncontrolled field) using the tower frequency for a field 200 miles away, or how about the time i reached up to tune another radio and turned the volume all the way down on the primary in use. Crap happens, and who knows exactly what did happen here since none of us were there with you, but as has been said, you really needed to talk to him personally about it rather than trying to start something here on this board. I like the response about teaching your student how this does happen in real life, and while teaching that also teach them that a pattern IS NOT required and that there may just be times when it is prudent to not use one...there are actually many lessons you can begin to teach from this "incident", so begin to use them and be more vigilant than ever.

edit: I have no clue who the pilot is, and i really have no idea where bkv is.

Last edited:
hotwings402 said:
Careless and reckless you were not using a recommended or approved pattern entry and if a midair occured you would have been cited it for not following a recommend procedure as per the aim at some point the other guy in the pattern was lower than you and had right of way how came first the jerk making a straight in or the guy following the recommended procedure flying a PATTERN. geez
You may want to rethink you thinking!

Here's a link of an NTSB decision where a Citation made a straight-in and 150 with CFI on board doing pattern work. Guess who got their licenses revoked?

http://www.ntsb.gov/alj/O_n_O/docs/aviation/4236.PDF

That's right, aircraft on FINAL have right of way according to 91.113, but more importantly you need to See and Avoid. Look everybody will make some mistakes. Believe me, if you fly long enough you will be cut off lots, and you may even mistakenly cut someone off. Chalk it up to charma.

If it makes you feel any better I cut off an Amerflight the other day, he got a couple of shirts out of it though as I felt real bad about it.

hotwings402 said:
guy in the pattern was lower than you and had right of way how came first the jerk making a straight in or the guy following the recommended procedure flying a PATTERN. geez
You may also want to rethink your attitude. The other guy a "jerk" for "cutting you off", you've been doing pattern work for over an hour, how about extending some common courtesy and simply extending you downwind a little.

Latest resources

Back