any updates on Comair 5191 crash?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's one:

(apparently it almost happened again . . . wonder if THAT pilot was sure it couldn't happen to him, or if he was glad there were 2 controllers to save his bacon)

Plane stopped from taking off from wrong Lexington runway
A private single-engine plane was about to take off from Runway 26 at the Lexington (Ky.) airport until an air traffic controller spotted the plane and alerted the aircraft, reports WKYT TV of Lexington. Runway 26 is the same short runway the Comair Flight 5191 mistakenly used before crashing just after takeoff on Aug. 27. 49 people died in that pre-dawn accident, in which the jet used a different runway than air traffic control had instructed it to. The private plane was also attempting to take off in the dark. There were two air traffic controllers on duty during this incident, as opposed to just one when the Comair flight crashed.

but correct me if i am wrong a single engine shouldn't have an issue on that runway. Also private pilots gear up, land at the wrong airport, ect.. all the time.

Anyone know how the Comair FO is doing?

I still want to know whether the runway lights were on or off at the time. I keep hearing conflicting reports. I can't believe that they would have taken off on an unlit runway at night. Like, even flight schools prohibit a 172 from taking off on an unlit runway - and it's in all of our Part 121 Ops manuals. Not knowing where you are is one thing, but taking off on a narrow runway in the dark, well, we can't help you there.

but correct me if i am wrong a single engine shouldn't have an issue on that runway. Also private pilots gear up, land at the wrong airport, ect.. all the time.

Anyone know how the Comair FO is doing?
Last I heard, he left the UK Medical Center around 3 weeks ago and was headed for a Physical Rehabilitation facility

I still want to know whether the runway lights were on or off at the time. I keep hearing conflicting reports. I can't believe that they would have taken off on an unlit runway at night. Like, even flight schools prohibit a 172 from taking off on an unlit runway - and it's in all of our Part 121 Ops manuals. Not knowing where you are is one thing, but taking off on a narrow runway in the dark, well, we can't help you there.

Runway 26 was unlit, but probably had the illusion of being lighted when lined up for t/o. There is a fairly drastic hump (upslope/downslope) right around the intersection of 26 and 22, and you can't see over it from the beginning of either runway. Thus, in my opinion, the lights for 22, which are at all four corners of the intersection, could easily appear to be the lights for 26. They may very well have realized it was unlit well into the t/o roll. I believe the CVR will confirm this. The slope will be one of the biggest contributing factors, again, my opinion only.

Like, even flight schools prohibit a 172 from taking off on an unlit runway - and it's in all of our Part 121 Ops

Like, Like, it's totally illegal all the time dumb butt! How did you become a "Jet FO"?

Was it dark out? or just sort of almost light?

Maybe if it was just getting light they thought the tower turned the lights off prematurely.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back