Any tricks or tips for the ATP written?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

qwerty

I got a current gleim. I can't afford the weekend crash courses.

If you got any tips or tricks for getting through the 1900, DC-9, 737, and 727 I'm all ears.

I spent hours on hours on just the 1900, is it better just to memorize?

Thanks!

How about just learning to do the math? It's not that hard.

Rather than memorizing answers, just learn the material and take the test. The test wasn't designed to sample your ability at rote memorization. It's designed to sample your actual ability to do simple tasks like weight and balance, understand regulations, weather, aerodynamics, etc. Everybody seems to look for some pneumonic with the test answers...why not just learn the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** material??

answer the easy questions first- save the problems that take ten minutes for last

get the book with all the questions in it and read it 3 times

Must agree with Mr. Avbug on this one--rote memorization will work to get you through the test ok, but there will come a time--or sixty--that you will need to know some part of that information during your piloting career.

Let's face it. Once you get on the line as a pilot, there won't be any more tests. There will, on occassion, be a pop quiz. You need to pass those without the element of luck aiding your hapless soul.

It'll pay off big if you know the material well; and yes, I do recommend you go through the Gleim book, including the sample tests as well.

Good luck!

Take the 135 test, only 1900 questions. The math for the 1900 is pretty easy, same as most GA twins. Study the 135 regs the most, it's the hardest part if you've never experienced them before.

It doesn't mean anything

The ATP written is a joke. Come up for the cash for the "crash course", It's not taht expensive...Couple hundred bucks at All ATPs. It IS your ATP ... might as well spend the cash and get the guarentee....

There isn't anything on the test that is gonna keep you from crashing........nothing earthshattering. It's just a bogus test to get you to the flight portion of the checkride. You probably already know, or will learn what you need to after the test.

Take the crash course and PASS....I think I got a 96 with absolutely no prep prior to the crash course...good luck

avbug said:
...why not just learn the [CENSORED] material?
I have to agree, bearing in mind that about two-thirds of the math-type questions on the ATP involve stuff you will never, ever see in real life if you go on to a Part 121 airline job.

If you manage to learn and retain the stuff, you'll have a better understanding of what the computers are doing for you. :D

P.S. Avbug, you know you're going to get censored...why do you bother to "curse?" It's a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** waste of time!

I suspect this thing would censor the word "drat."

or **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**

or dang...

well, most of em, anyway.

My heck, dang it, and shucks. It's just so durn annoying, dagnab it. Crud.

Study the Gleim Book. That's all you need.

Just pick which one you want to do, 135 or 121.

I did 121, did not have any 121 experience when I took it. it was fairly straight forward with only a few trickier questions.

I have only vague memories of a situation where it was an actual benefit that I took the 121 exam. The situation kinda by suprised me, but it's really no big thing which one you take.

Go have fun & good luck!

AllATP's is the way to go

I took the crash course and would highly recommend it to anyone. I didn't rely on rote memorization either. I understood why the answer was such. The weight and balance, performance charts are not that hard once you work through a couple of them.

The great thing about the crash course is they zero in on only the questions that will appear on your test. I went throught the Gleim after the test and I couldn't figure out any rational way of picking through which questions would appear on the test or not. I only had 558 questions to go through then the couple of thousand that are available. It's definately worth the money. I would rather take care of it in one day then study for two months. Just my two cents.

Latest resources

Back