Any SW guys got a moment?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jimEJet

I am a wrinkled poolie and was wondering if you guys that are already there could answer a couple of questions for me.

1. When you are hired is hotel paid for during training?

2. How many weeks does the whole training process in DAL last?

3. Is per diem paid while in training? If so what hourly or daily rate?

4. Do we have to pay union dues probationary year? What percentage of pay?

5. What amount per check could a single person expect insurance to cost?

6. Which two days per month are checks deposited?

7. How much per check does uniform charges cost?

8. Would it be wise for a guy to drive from Chicago to DAL for training? Or is there plenty to due near hotel? I am wondering for a couple of reasons. When training ends...do they expect you to go directly to OAK? Will I have time to get things in order back home or even have enough time to drive my car back to MDW?

9. What could one expect a crash pad/hotel to cost in OAK for the first couple of months? What amount of overnights could I expect? I plan on commuting to Chicago.

10. Is it generally easy, when based at MDW, for a new guy to pick up open time at MDW? Or will it be months before I can expect any pay increase?

Thanks for any feedback,

These questions may seem foolish for some, however. I will be stretching my pennies the first year. I still need to pay the mortgage and was trying to get an idea of take home and the like. Thanks

jimEjet

When you are hired is hotel paid for during training?
yes, you stay at the Renaissance in DAL

How many weeks does the whole training process in DAL last?

Around 5.5-6.5 weeks.

Is per diem paid while in training? If so what hourly or daily rate?

No, only while you are on your IOE.

Do we have to pay union dues probationary year? What percentage of pay?

Yes. 1%
What amount per check could a single person expect insurance to cost?
Depends slightly on which insurance plan you wish to select. With no dependents, single, it won't be more than $10-20 per month I believe.

Which two days per month are checks deposited?
5th, 20th
How much per check does uniform charges cost?
Maximum of $30 per pay period ($60 per month) until the bill is paid off, no interest.

Would it be wise for a guy to drive from Chicago to DAL for training? Or is there plenty to due near hotel? I am wondering for a couple of reasons. When training ends...do they expect you to go directly to OAK? Will I have time to get things in order back home or even have enough time to drive my car back to MDW?

Some folks like have the flexibilty of a car. There is a shuttle daily to/from the hotel & training center. Others in the class usually have cars to help with that also. However, having a car allows you to get out a little more. Not a lot to see/do around the hotel, off of busy thoroughfare with no shopping in the area per se. IOE scheduling varies. They will work with you. If you wish to go immediately for an IOE (it could be to any base, check airman availability) or if you need some days off to get things squared away that is possible also. Your need to get the car back to MDW would be permissable if not before the IOE at least at the end of the IOE where they will take that into account before putting you on your post IOE trip. The training scheduling folks are very flexible & reasonable with reasonable requests which I think this one is, just my opinion.

What could one expect a crash pad/hotel to cost in OAK for the first couple of months? What amount of overnights could I expect? I plan on commuting to Chicago.

Go to this website for accurate info. Don't hesitate to e-mail the folks out there to get specific info on crash pads. SWA Oakland Pilot Base web site

Is it generally easy, when based at MDW, for a new guy to pick up open time at MDW? Or will it be months before I can expect any pay increase?

From your first month there you should be able to find some extra fly/daily open time. Putting your name on the extra fly list is the best way. Scheduling has said they expect to see an increase in extra flying beginning in Apr/May as the excess of pilots that has occurred begins to correct itself with the addition of lots of new aircraft. Good for you & other newbies.

These questions may seem foolish for some

No foolish questions for a newbie!!! Congrats & have a great time when you get to Dallas....cheers.

Yes

6 weeks

No, you are considered DAL domiciled until your leave.

yes, Not much. I do not know the percentagem, but last month I paid 4.50

It depends what choices you make, but it'll be cheap. I am married with two ankle bitters and mine is less than 10$ a month.

5th and 20th.
5th is a set amount ($1388 gross) and the 20th reconciles previous month's pay - so the 20th check is usually the big one.

$30

8. Would it be wise for a guy to drive from Chicago to DAL for training? Or is there plenty to due near hotel? I am wondering for a couple of reasons. When training ends...do they expect you to go directly to OAK? Will I have time to get things in order back home or even have enough time to drive my car back to MDW?

Really a matter of opinion - I didn't drive and I was fine with that - other dudes really seemed to like haing their cars (I went home EVERY weekend). You will get a few days before IOE (which may not be in OAK - you will probably get MDW for IOE and the rest of that month - then off to OAK for the "hard line" month)

9. What could one expect a crash pad/hotel to cost in OAK for the first couple of months? What amount of overnights could I expect? I plan on commuting to Chicago.

I'll let the OAK crownd field this one

10. Is it generally easy, when based at MDW, for a new guy to pick up open time at MDW? Or will it be months before I can expect any pay increase?

I am ten from the bottom in PHX - I can usually pick up any time I want to IF I am legal. Lots of folks commute to MDW - so my guess is you'll have good luck - don't forget that any reserve blocks you pick up are also second year pay - those tend to get ignored in open time.

Can't wait til you get here brother!

jimEJet said:

These questions may seem foolish for some, however. I will be stretching my pennies the first year. I still need to pay the mortgage and was trying to get an idea of take home and the like. Thanks

jimEjet

I don't think your questions are foolish just unwarranted. My question to you is: If all 10 were answered in the opposite of what you are/were hoping; is it going to make a difference for you in taking the job? If yes, ask the questions. If no, don't worry about it. Hopefully, your 130 position moves quickly for you. Congrats! You'll like the 73.

Last edited:
Chase & ivauir, WOW

Thanks a lot guys,

That was fantastic service and very informative!

Didn't expect such a timely reponse.

All questions answered.

This will help me fine tune my finances.

Or lack of ;)

Take care,

Can't wait.

JimEjet

jimEJet said:
I am a wrinkled poolie and was wondering if you guys that are already there could answer a couple of questions for me.

I've got a few minutes...I'll take a swipe at a few of the easier ones. Any of you newer guys feel free to jump in if my info is obsolete.

Yes, and transportation to/from Love field and the training center/G.O. is provided (and it's a real nice hotel too!)

Four to five...depending upon which sim group you are in. If you're an old fart you go right after ground school is over...the young whipper-snappers get a week off.

Not sure about per deim, but you do get paid at regular 1st year pay rates from day 1.

No union dues until off probation, then it's 1% of gross pay.

I assume you're talking health insurance here and I think it's still free (or very nearly so) for a single dude with no dependents.

The 5th and the 20th, and the company will err on the early side if it falls on a weekend or holiday.

Kinda depends on how crazy you go with it. I think for the basics it was about $15-20 per check for my first year. IIRC, the studdly leather jacket is NOT payroll-deductible.

Probably not worth the hassle. Through ground school, your class will be operating as a pretty tight group, and there will be several people with cars that can provide rides to whatever group excursions may take place. As mentioned before, hotel has good tranportation for all required destinations.

After your sim check ride, there will probably be a few days before your IOE trip. You can request your IOE to be out of any of the domiciles...not just OAK. I think most usually get it where they want it. Sounds like IOE out of MDW would suit you just fine? :)

Current OAK guys help me out here. I think that crash pads in OAK are few & far between...most just schlep-it in some of the fine(?) hotels near the airport which I think go for somewhere in the $55-60/night range. OAK is a big-time commuter base, so EVERYBODY wants off reserve and wants to fly their whole reserve assignment, so you could be looking at buying at least two hotel rooms per reserve trip (ouch!). Then again with our current historically thin reserve manning (thanks, Crew Solver), reserves are flying A LOT more than they used to, so you may fair better than that.

MDW guys help me out here. I think open time is pretty easy to come by there, and when you pick up from the company it's at 2nd year FO rates (better than JA/VJA time-&-a-half).

These questions may seem foolish for some, however. I will be stretching my pennies the first year. I still need to pay the mortgage and was trying to get an idea of take home and the like.

Hope this helps (and hope most is still accurate!). See you on the line...

P.S. FLOWS FLOWS FLOWS! :D

As you can tell, I'm one of the slowest typers at SWA...:(

Is a current first class medical required for starting class or will a 1st class that is over 6 months old and thus reverted to a 2nd class do?

You need a current 1st class on day one - it can become a class 2 on day 2 though. Also, when you renew you must get a 1st class during each physical (but you can let it go to 2nd class at 6 mo).

Clear as mud?

Latest resources

Back