Any Parks College people here?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotdad said:
Boy are you guys wet behind the ears. Went there in '67 for one year then transferred to SIU (not in aviation by the way). No, did not flunk out either. Anyway you guys probably don't remember Pappy Horn, Mr. Eros, Bobby Boll, Father Leiker, Mr. Whitmore, Mr. Lin, Mr. Uritus (that was good for a laugh)

Bobby Boll. I had Mr. Boll for Calculus 2 and 3 back at the Cahokia Campus in 93-94. His wife, the Parks Campus librarian was a sweet lady and passed away very suddenly a few years after I graduated in 96. Mr. Boll hung in there for on campus for a few more years and passed away 2-3 years ago I think. They were great people and I enjoyed getting to know Mr. Boll as I pushed him around in his wheel chair and wiped his overhead projector clean twice a week! Fond memories of Parks.

On a related note, a fellow Parks grad from STL just let me know that Mr. Kamm recently passed away. I didn't know him well or have him for any classes, but many AME's and AMM people spoke very highly of him.

Richard W. "Dick" Kamm
Kamm, Richard 'Dick' W 77, Dupo, IL, died Sat., Feb. 4, 2006.

This has been a nice thread to read.

MM

Mr. Kam was an excellent instructor for the A&P program. He was rough around the edges, but had a ton of enthusiasm for waht he did. I still think that was the one class where I learned the most of the entire A&P program. Eventhough he made fun of me for going through the pilot prgram at the same time as I was working towards my A&P, he may have been right on that one! He would take small groups of students (2 - 3) and grill us on the intricacies of carbs, fuel injection systems, fuel system components, and they didnt call it the sweat box for nothing. You couldnt BS your way through his class because the man really did know it al. He was also an FE on the B-36, and he had good stories to tell. He is man who is fondly remebered by many.

Any of you guys remember Steve Fugina? Maybe know what he's up to? I was a student of his at ksus in 2000-01. Think he was class of '99 maybe?

Thanks

Class of 2002. Currently at SKYW. Andora was (is) pretty cool. What happened to Hoover? Wasn't a big fan of Belt. Tim A was a pretty big jerk too, which is why I wasn't surprised to hear of him going to GJ. I hear the whole place has pretty much gone down hill since a new dean took over a couple of years ago. I think he is some engineering type who wants the whole aviation school to just go away. Are they still allowing you to do your flying for free, or do you have to pay flight fees now?

Flying for free??? How did that little gem work? I remeber trying to barely cover the flying costs while there, especially from the lovely and large lady who worked in the cashier office who always accepted a check with a smile and a grunt.

Here's a question...for those old timers out there, who remembers Frank Tucker, Jack Kotacki (sp) from the 60's. I lived in beautiful Cahokia back then and was drawn to aviation by the excitment of having Parks in the neighborhood. Ended up learning to fly at Sisk Aviation at Parks/Bi-State and attending SIU. Still at it many years later...but wanted to say thanks to those guys for geting me started. I have loved every minute of my career !!!

citdrver said:
Flying for free??? How did that little gem work? I remeber trying to barely cover the flying costs while there, especially from the lovely and large lady who worked in the cashier office who always accepted a check with a smile and a grunt.

For a couple of years (I think 2000-?) they experimented in no additional fees for the flight program. I don't know if they still do it, but I was able get my degree, a little certificate in Business and all of my ratings for the same cost of tuition as any other SLU student. I did have to pay a little extra during the semesters when my credit hours exeeded 20 or something, but it was a good deal. Just wondering if they were still dong that.

Where is the campus now?

Been out of the loop for a long time. Where is the campus now? Over at St. Louis U. or are they still part of St. Louis U.? Sure dont miss the smell of the rubber recycling plant and chemical plant. Used to sit outside the door of Mercury Hall during a rainstorm just to smell fresh air. :laugh:

Latest resources

Back