Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any Known Upcoming G650 Operators? Where do I send my app????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You would be wrong my friend. A close friend of mine got a job on the east coast flying for the owner of a very late advertising firm. The owner has a Cirrus and feels that he always wants another pilot with him when he flies, my friend is fully employed by him (think medical, 401K company matching, company car) and he is paid 140K a year.

okay, you got me. ONE of these jobs exist(i don't really believe it, since this is the internet). A pilot probably has better odds of winning powerball then finding a job similar to your close friend anyway.

When I was hiring a new global driver this year I offered him the job (which starts at 165K) an he turned it down.

Yes while jobs like this are very rare they do exist.

My point was that I don't care about equipment, all about QOL.

I do fly a global now but if my boss got something different I would still fly for him no matter what, when I was looking for a job I applied at quality departments, I did not care what they were flying, and the job I have now I had to choose between this job and a king air job, the decision was not as easy as many of you might think. (And the king air paid more)

I'm a bit confused...

So you're some type of upper crust company man at a Global operator... you were going to hire some one for your op (I am just assuming the position was below you in seniority) and said position pays $165,000 a year.

You like your boss... and if he was to buy a KA you'd fly it... understandable I like the KA too...

But you turned down a KA job to fly for your current boss who pays $165,000 a year on a Global Express.

And If I'm reading all this right, you said the KA job paid MORE?

More than $165,000 per year to fly a KA?

:confused:

So if I understand you correctly land you are suggesting that you choose a job based on equipment?

So if I understand you correctly English is your 2nd language and you don't understand it very well. Or you choose to imagine things that haven't been written. I, like you claim to be, don't chase type ratings but please point out to me what I wrote that made you insinuate I did write that.

Sounds like most of you would turn down a shot to fly a renovated Concorde or fly a new version of the Space Shuttle if the opportunity magically arose... Who cares what or where you fly?

Guys, there are plenty of non-travel, lucrative IT jobs out there for you if you are seriously jaded. I am not saying equipment is the sole consideration - far from it. But why get into aviation if you want to sit at home? If QOL is so important to you, why even consider professional aviation? Seriously? Go turn off this computer and spend more time with your family and pets. It's like saying, "I joined the Marines but I didn't expect to fight in wars." Law school is waiting for your application. Or apply for the Flight Department Leader position (non-flying VP role) and let someone else fly your Global/G650 worldwide who actually appreciates it!

This website is getting more depressing by the day.................

If you want to stay around home so much, you probably shouldn't fly 6000 mile airplanes. Most of the time your pay depends on size and range, with few exceptions. Good thing some of these guys didn't fly heavies in the military when you were gone 175 days a year or more. Then you would have plenty to complain about. I get plenty of off time and plenty of vacation and I enjoy my trips. If you don't like travel then fly short range aircraft or better yet, manage them...

If you want to stay around home so much, you probably shouldn't fly 6000 mile airplanes. Most of the time your pay depends on size and range, with few exceptions. Good thing some of these guys didn't fly heavies in the military when you were gone 175 days a year or more. Then you would have plenty to complain about. I get plenty of off time and plenty of vacation and I enjoy my trips. If you don't like travel then fly short range aircraft or better yet, manage them...

Agreed. I get so tired of hearing the older pilots "admonish" the younger pilots to not care about equipment and to focus on QOL. Of course QOL is important to everyone - so is money. We all want to maximize pay and time off. These "experienced" pilots love to tell others this even though they are currently flying 777s/747s or the big corporate iron that so many people want to fly - Globals, Falcon 7Xs and Gulfstreams. But don't give us that crap of "I don't care if I fly a Beechcraft Skipper as long as I am paid $150K per year and have 3 weeks off a month." That gets very old. Guess what, if you live in California, New York or New Jersey, that $150K you earn on the Global puts you in the lower Middle Class after tax (9.8% state tax in California) unless your spouse works.

If you want to become a professional pilot (as your sole job), don't expect to make much money. Period. Not everyone can fly 777s at Fedex or fly G650s. If you don't go the military route, you will likely add big debt in training costs. The point is flying is not a great profession for anyone wanting to make big bucks. Just don't expect it. If you want big bucks and you are a pilot, you need to marry well or play the lotto often... And if you want significant time with your family, don't take a job that requires you to be away from home 6 months per year (regular airline schedules) or a job that operates anything bigger than a single-engine piston - those Globals and Gulfstreams will keep you from your families in most (but not all) cases.

If you don't like that low pay and significant time away from home, I guess you should look into desk jobs... And quit the condescending old timer crap. Nobody should expect anything great in terms of money or time off in aviation - if you get great time off you are very lucky. If you are really jaded, get the flight department VP desk job and manage others who enjoy aviation and want to see the world...

Last edited:
johnsonrod said:
Not everyone can fly 777s at Fedex or fly G650s.
Why would you say that? You are incorrect. Anyone who wants can indeed fly a 777 or a '650. You just have to work your ass off for a long time, and be smart, maybe even a little crafty. You hear a lot of guys talk about how lucky they have been in their aviation careers. Hell, I'm one of those guys myself, but the harder I've worked, the luckier I've been. Of all the career paths out there, this is the one that allows you to take yourself as far as you want to go.
Sure, there's some suffering along the way (don't ask me how many hours I have in the right seat of a '152 for 20 bucks an hour) but nothing good happens without a lot of work.
johnsonrod said:
Nobody should expect anything great in terms of money or time off in aviation - if you get great time off you are very lucky.
Get out of the business, 'rod. It's obviously not for you. There are plenty of us that make good money and have plenty of time off. You are incorrect in your hypothesis. I was perfectly happy flying the boss's BeechJet for cryin' out loud, with good pay and good time off. Same now with the 7X. It really is about QOL. You young guys might not believe that, but trust me, it's true.

I enjoy my job, pays well and I have a good amount of time off... so, I work another job!

If you want to become a professional pilot (as your sole job), don't expect to make much money. Period. Not everyone can fly 777s at Fedex or fly G650s. If you don't go the military route, you will likely add big debt in training costs. The point is flying is not a great profession for anyone wanting to make big bucks. Just don't expect it. If you want big bucks and you are a pilot, you need to marry well or play the lotto often... And if you want significant time with your family, don't take a job that requires you to be away from home 6 months per year (regular airline schedules) or a job that operates anything bigger than a single-engine piston - those Globals and Gulfstreams will keep you from your families in most (but not all) cases.

Well, not quite.

Most of my peers/friends who fly Gulfstreams/Globals/7X etc make between 150-225K. No...not rich by any stretch...but getting by just fine. Some newer guys may get abused at 125K'ish but they usually move on pretty quick...like any profession, there's an experience building phase.

Most also work between 8-14 days a month. Want some extra money? plenty of time for another job. Many I know contract fly or work at sim centers for an extra 10-50K. Since leaving CFI/Charter work I have never had a flying job where I regularly worked more than 15 days a month and for the last 3-4 years I average less than 70 nights away. The vast majority of larger corp aircraft I know are crewed well. I'm home with my family more than just about any father I know (aviation or not)

And Yes, anyone who wants to can certainly fly a 777 or a Gxxx (or whatever) Its not rocket science. Average commitment, defined career goals, dedication etc...fly what you want!

I wouldn't suspect pay/lifestyle is terrific in an EMB-145, but it may suit you just fine? To each his own...but I can tell you that your view of the typical Gulfstream/Global/7X gig is far from accurate!

Latest resources

Back