any info on airmidwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cbogacz

just got hired at Air midwest any pros and cons I already know the upgrade time is pretty quick

pro: the hired you.
con: you didnt research the company you applied with.

disclaimer: i might have mixed up the pros and cons.

expect PIT as your base and you will fly very little.

the chief pilot is an old, cantankerous bastard. you'll learn this when he comes in to give you his "pep" talk.

the airplanes are completely old and abused. expect 4-5 MEL items for each airplane.

trista and trixi are.....well i would be banned for saying it, but lets just say it rhymes with runts. these two miserable women will screw you without missing a beat and demand more. expect them to push you just because they can when assigning your schedules.

the people you'll be flying with are good.

oh and fyi, its air bigmess. have fun at the hangar.....it hasn't been cleaned since the early 80's.

To add to what's above, yes expect to be based in the PIT system for a while. Several of the beech fo's are probably going the the Dash 8 so the flying for reserves may pick up quite a bit. You may even be able to slide into a hard line within a month or two. If you commute and have a family, reserve will be hell. If you have ATP mins, you'll probably be able to upgrade in around 6 months. Once you're on a hard line, schedules are generally 4 on, 3 off. The plane is a blast to fly, but yes, they are worn out. I feel safe flying them, but they aren't much to look at. They are about 10-15 years old but with 30-40 thousand cycles. Lots of little things will break, but the PT-6 engines are just about bulletproof (and very overpowered for the plane).

It's definitely not the best regional out there, but it's a great place to get in, get your hours, and get out...all while your friends that may go to other regionals are still in the right seat. It all depends on what you want. If you want to take your time at the regionals and possibly make a career at one, then don't come to Air Midwest. If you are trying to build hours and move on, I think it's worth a bit of a sacrifice to get the turbine PIC time more quickly than anywhere else.

If you have any specific questions, post them here or PM me.

Air Bigmess = Mesa, so if your hired at AMW your on the Mesa seniority list as well, which means you are free to upgrade into the 1900, ERJ, CRJ or (Dash-8 depending on company need, such as now with Freedom) just by changing your standing bid. I spent 4 years on the mighty beech flying all over the US. it was a great experience especially since the there are no autopilots or FMS's in the airplanes, on the downside prepair to get abused on a regular basis as a reserve pilot.

Latest resources

Back