• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any Contract Pilots out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are two schools of thought on what A/C to focus on. Some think it's smart to get a Citation rating since there are TONS of them flying which means lots of jobs plus school is relatively inexspensive. But there are also a TON of Citation drivers looking for work that you'll be competing with. Another idea is to focus on a newer A/C like a GV or CL300 since there aren't alot of pilots with much experience in those A/C... yet. You can charge a premium (I think GV SIC's charge $800-1200/day in my neighborhood) but the cost of school is outrageous.

Real world example: I fly an Astra. 12-18 months ago there was a shortage of Astra drivers in my area. I could pretty much pick up a trip whenever I felt like flying. I charged $450-500/day plus expenses for SIC. It was GREAT. My boss at my PT91 gig pays for all my training and I have his permission to fly all the trips I care to do. On the advice of my accountant I recently started my own "Pilot Services" LLC to gain some extra tax write-offs. I don't know if I'd be able to support myself solely as a contract pilot but it's a great way to make some extra cash.

Good Luck!

Thanks to all for the good info, please keep it coming.

Ill be getting back to the good 'ole US of A soon and will definately be put the info to good use.

Latest resources

Back