Any Combat Talon/Shadow pilots around?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HueyPilot

I've got a little less than a year to decide, but after C-21s, I'm leaning towards Combat Talons/Shadows at Mildenhall. Any pointers on how I could land this assignment? Any info about the Talon mission, lifestyle, or Mildenhall itself would be nice too. And does anyone think that a visit to AFPC would pay off?

Second choice would either be Talons at Herbie or slicks at LR. But I really would like to go to Mildenhall. Reading on the AFPC web site, they say if you go AFSOC, expect an overseas long tour, followed by CONUS. As for Kadena...I wouldnt mind it, but the wife said try for Mildenhall and Herbie first.

Just to give you a little background, I'm not your typical C-21 guy...I do have NVG experience, and I flew Army helos, so I know what low-level looks like. I took the Learjet to get some AC/IP experience, considering they upgrade so fast.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Been out of the Talon I community since 97, so my inputs may be off by a bit. But, I still fly Herks and get involved with the assignment system for some of our youngsters as they go that way. The Talon I and Talon II are truly incredible machines, with the Shadows specialized mainly in their air refueling role, and not usually expected to go "over the border". (Of course, the recent Afghan scenario has pushed that doctrine out the back door and the Shadow guys have been mixing it up with the best of them.) One of the great things about the mission was that you didn't need to be at war or in a conflict to put the aircraft and crews to work for Uncle Sam. Just tell them what needs done and stand back...

I flew out of Hurbie, got to the four corners of the world and had a blast. Back then it was mostly exercise work (2-3 weeks out per 60 days or so, and then back home for training and prep for the next one). A few short trips in there as well to support the user in their training. Several times put on alert for short notice deployments. Also had a few deployments to hotspots for as much as 60 days a pop. You can just read the newspapers to see what the guys are doing now. Expect to do more away and a less at home if you do go. At least the UK is a great place to be when you're not on the road. I'll let some of the Stray Goose gang fill you in on Kadena and the PI if they come across this answer.

Give a call down to AFSOC personnel and see what the manning is like, and if they foresee any opening out towards Mildenhall around the time you hope to PCS. Then you can call the AFPC mafia and at least talk with some knowledge of what's possible. If you've got contacts over there, have them do a "good ol' boy check" for you and get their Chief Pilot involved. A by-name request is worth some points (if you're sure you'll pass a good ol' boy check). But, you'll go where they need the pilot the most. Even if you're in the training pipeline, your orders can change--pretty much up to the date of your portcall.

Good luck with the decision-making. It was **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** good flying and a great group of guys to fly with...just a bunch of crewdogs on a continuous pubcrawl...

Talon ???'s

HueyPilot,
I too have a similiar background, albiet awhile ago. Flew helo's in the Army and defected to the A.F. and flew C-21A's for the first assignment, then moved into Talon I's at Hurbie. Unless things have changed the first stop would be to your boss, since he or she will put your name in the hat for the assignment pool. Fill out that dream sheet and work your contacts if you have any.

Once you get the assignment be ready for a change in attitude. First and foremost, strive to become an expert in the C-130. New folks coming into the sq. from a slick tour will have the jump on you for advancement to IP, etc. Also, even though the airplanes have the coolest bells and whistles, they're still C-130's underneath. Next, try to be open minded. As a former "I do it my way" kinda guy, there was a little getting used to having 10-15 people on the crew...especially with navigators. Believe me, when your in the Terrain Following (TF) mode at 250', IMC, with rocks 60' off of your wing tips, the navigators will be your best friend. Bye the bye, when he says fly heading 352 he doesn't 350 or 355. You'll soon see why.

The best thing is the many roles and missions that you'll be performing. Many things to learn and you'll work with some A#1 players.

Good Luck and keep you head down because we all know that night air does not produce lift.

Thanks for the info. Based on your experience, was it more difficult transitioning to the Talon mission without some previous Herk time? And what's the general attitude in an MC outfit? I've run into a number of Talon pilots....most were pretty good dudes....some were, uh, "motivated" for lack of a better term. But then again we've got a few of those types in the -21 too.

I hear the Talon I is going away. Since I've got helo experience, I hope they wouldn't eye me for the CV-22....interesting machine, but I really don't want to fly it.

EGUN Info

I'm a Shadow guy at Mildenhall. The mission is pretty cool and Mildenhall is a good place to live. I like the Shadow, basically a big slick with some extra toys. My compadres would shoot me for saying this, but I would go for a TII first. I do enjoy the Shadow, but it is a lot older than the Talon II. The Shadow will be around for awhile - long after you're gone - as we don't have enough Herc Tankers in the AF.

The travel schedule isn't too bad, but it is totally unplanned. You really can't make plans and stick by them, at all, ever. I really liked that at first, but now am worn by it.

Another point I need to bring up. Given a choice, I'd choose the T II, mostly because of squadron leadership. The 67th is going through a bout of pretty bad leadership, while the 7th is enjoying a pretty good time. I am worried about safety in the 67th, mostly about how the leadership is pushing the crews into uncomfortable situations.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Latest resources

Back