Anti Mesa Rally at IAD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Av8tor

Believe it or not, there are actually some people inside our own airline who still don't fully grasp how serious the Mesa takeover situation is. Mark my words, it is extremely serious. Not only is Jonathan Ornstein determined to stop Independence Air from ever happening, but just take a look at what has happened to the other airlines he has taken over.

AERO is determined to stop him.

AERO was founded by a small group of ACA employees and virtually overnight turned into a very, very large group of ACA employees. Please join us.

You can go to www.aero2003.org and donate a few dollars to the cause, but even more importantly, we must have your participation in the rally which will take place on Thursday of this week.

From 1:30pm until 2:15pm, outside the west end of the IAD main terminal we will be assembling along with other concerned airline employees and a whole lot of press.

It is absolutely crucial that you come and add your voice to the many who will say 'No To Jonny O!"

Good luck with it all! I am not an airline pilot, but I do find JOs shenanigans disgusting...

Good luck blue ridgers......

JO and Mesa are a cancer that need to be cut from the industry, if not we'll all be working for hm along side of 21 year old FO's who are happy to PFT.

The rest of us at the WO's had better be ready to take significant action when JO and Mese try to muscle in. Have you ACA drivers tried to appeal to the shareholders, telling them they would certainly have a strike if JO crowns himseld the head o ACA??

More News!!!

ACA pilots deride Mesa offer
by Lou Whiteman
Updated 03:50 PM EST, Dec-3-2003

Although investors question a plan by Atlantic Coast Airlines Holdings Inc. to reinvent itself as an

independent carrier, the company's employees remain solidly behind ACA and its efforts to thwart a hostile bid.

Dulles, Va.-based ACA's July announcement that it was ending a contract with bankrupt United Airlines Inc. that accounts for 85% of its revenue in favor of launching its own low-fare service sent its shares plummeting 25% in one day. Analysts also have expressed concern that ACA, which flies regional jets, is ill-fitted to operate as a discount airline and worry that competition from United will eventually drive the company out of business.

Such concerns have warmed ACA investors to an unsolicited proposal by Mesa Air Group Inc. to buy the company. ACA executives have rejected that proposal, which would restore the company's relationship with United.

By contrast, ACA employees are expected to rally at Washington's Dulles International Airport Thursday, Dec. 4, in support of their company's low-fare spawn, called Independence Air. They have even set up a Web site belittling Mesa and its CEO, Jonathan Ornstein, to advance their cause. ACA's pilots also have agreed to a new salary structure that would result in a significant pay cut should Independence Air move forward.

At first glance it would appear surprising that ACA employees would be so adamant in support of a plan analysts fear could leave the company in financial ruin. But they insist their support is based on rational analysis and not just a blind mistrust of Ornstein, as some industry experts have suggested.

"Our employees are very savvy, and they understand the risks involved with Independence," said George Force, chief pilot at the airline. "But they see the Mesa deal as strapping the company to the deck of the Titanic."

The employee rally is not organized or sponsored by ACA, and the pilots interviewed stressed that their viewpoint does not represent that of the company.

Force said employees worry that Mesa is underestimating the risk of United failing to emerge from Chapter 11, adding that investors have miscalculated the potential market for Independence Air.

"You can hardly walk through the terminal at Dulles right now because it is so crowded with people," he said. "When we look at the two alternatives and the risks involved in each, employees are saying they are willing to go down swinging for this cause."

Still, industry watchers widely expect Mesa to succeed in forcing an overhaul of ACA's board of directors despite employee objections. Even if the employees fail to sway the vote, their importance in determining the success of a merger cannot be understated.

"The last thing United wants is disgruntled employees dealing with their customers," one ACA worker said. "Employees are really excited about Independence Air, and it would only be natural for them to be disappointed should it not go through."

One pilot said investors are too focused on ACA's current lucrative deal with United. That agreement is scheduled to be voided in bankruptcy court, and pilots insist United's replacement proposal was nothing like the original.

"Working with United in the future requires its regional carriers to take on a lot more risk and gives United the right to replace us if someone else comes along with a cheaper alternative," the pilot said.

Mesa officials have not detailed the arrangement they negotiated with United, but have said repeatedly it is separate and unrelated to the contract United offered ACA.

David Cox, a 17-year ACA captain, said he is backing the company because he believes in the management team, led by CEO Kerry Skeen. ACA is known as a trendsetter among regionals, and Cox said he is convinced management knows what it is doing.

"In 1997 when we first bought regional jets, everyone said it was risky, and eight months later we looked like geniuses," Cox said. "In 2000 when we worked out the first fee-for-departure contract, the same questions were asked, but it set the standard."

Cox admitted that he had some trepidation upon hearing that management intended to relaunch the company as an independent. But he insists a move to preserve ties to United, which could continually threaten to take its business elsewhere, is a bigger risk.

"You become the guy who paints houses for a living, where the only thing that matters is who can do it for the least amount of money," he said. "To me that doesn't provide much job security."

Well, here is the drastic change that I was talking about…

We have had such a huge response that we had to move the Rally location to a larger spot!!

The new location is on the east side of the airport, next to the Hourly Parking Lot.

+ You can park FREE in Hourly Parking during the Rally (just print out this email and it will serve as your voucher when you exit).
+ Walk under the access bridge towards Signature and follow the covered walkway (next to the old Employee Lot).
+ You will see the Rally stage in a grassy area just ahead.

See you at the Rally!
www.aero2003.org

David Cox, a 17-year ACA captain, said he is backing the company because he believes in the management team, led by CEO Kerry Skeen. ACA is known as a trendsetter among regionals, and Cox said he is convinced management knows what it is doing.

Yeah, trendsetter........ACA made pilots PAY FOR TRAINING back in 90's.

17-year captain? - Don't forget that ACA was originally an east coast branch operation of WestAir. WestAir was bought by Mesa and then crushed.

Wall Street doesn't feel that ACA will survive solo. Either way, watch ACA shrivel up. I wouldn't buy either stock. I would rather give my money to charity.

Remember that ACA was at One time the east coast division of Westair. Westair sold off the east coast division known as Atlantic Coast Airlines in late '92 or early '93 ( As I get older my memory is failing me). There are still a lot of us ol' Westair and NPA (Betcha can't figure that one out ) folks here at ACA. (And Yes, Capt Cox does have 17+ years seniority with ACA). As far as pay for training goes...I'm glad that we closed that chapter and I don't think that you will ever see that chapter repeated. (Ya Gotta remember, that was a time when there was a glut of pilots and certain management types saw a way of reducing cost...Luckily those folks are now gone and yes, ALPA did pay a price to get rid of it.)

Last edited:
Nice cheap shot there geardown.

Your statements reflect an ACA that was left behind years ago.

PFT? Yes, we had it, and yes we got rid of it years ago. ACA does not have PFT now, and has a world class training facility. Lets see, Southwest essentially has PFT now (get your type before class) and I don't see a lot of people complaining.

Mesa killing WestAir? Yes, it happened, AFTER ACA was split from WestAir and on it's own. ACA did have a couple of rough years in the begining. I know as I was either here or right next door at Air Wisconsin during that time. I came to ACA as part of the UAL brokered dismemberment of Air Wisconsin in 1993 and voted with my feet to stay here in 1996.

The counter point to you sir is that while Mesa was cranking up it's rape & pillage style of doing business, ACA successfully rebuilt itself into a first class regional and laid the ground work to become a successful low cost carrier.

If there is anything good about JO's attempt to shut down Independence Air, it is in repelling him that tremendous team spirit is being demonstrated by ACA employees to rally together, work together and show the world that we won't be sheep herded off quietly to slaughter. WE built this company, not him. We will either make Indy Air fly or we will make the United pilots "summer of love 2000" look like a little league game.

There were about 500 employees & supporters at the rally today in IAD. Great numbers considering the fact that we also ran an airline today.

Our message is not anti Mesa employee. We welcome them to IAD as UAX. They only need to bring their own planes, their own people and their own money. Our message is not against UAL employees either. The planes I've flown since being one of the original UAX pilots at IAD in 1986 have always had the blue & red UU on the tail, and I am proud of the work I have done for them.

However, UAL management bent over all it's express carriers this year under their bankruptcy proceedings. My company simply said no thank you to the proposed deal. There is room at IAD for a low fare airline to prosper along side the big UAL. Frontier does a good job in DEN, AirTran is successful in ATL, and Indy will do well at IAD. Isn't competition healthy?

Thank you to all who have expressed your support. It is greatly appreciated.

Latest resources

Back