Another Southwest question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NOZ

Sorry to add to the list of Southwest posts, but I couldn't find an answer in any of the old posts...

I am wondering if Southwest allows any outside flying?

It would be a pt 91 coporate gig, just to fill in on a couple of days off of the regular pilots. Probably no more than 10 hours a month at most. Just trying to prepare me and the company for the future, when and if my oppuritunity comes along.

One other question is there a minimum credit per month that you must work? Thanks....

Generally no. You must have Chief pilot's permission for any outside commercial flying Pt 91, 121, 135, 125, etc. They may allow it on a case by case basis.

VP of flight ops has to give you permission - not a chief. So if you're comfortable asking the #1 pilot in the company to go fly for another company because SWA flying isn't good enough then knock yourself out.

I'm sure you'll get other opinions but I'd advise against it unless it was a VERY rare occasion.

Gup

One other question is there a minimum credit per month that you must work? Thanks....

Generally not. There are restrictions on how you give away your time, though. SWA doesn't really have a trip drop system where you forcefully drop your trips into open time without picking up a similar number of duty periods from open time, and there is a minimum credit value when trading with open time that varies from month to month (I remember seeing 65 "trips" quite frequently, which is about 55 or 60 hours minimum). However, you can give away nearly anything and everything to other pilots if they pick it up with varying degrees of success. It's tough when you're junior to do this, though.

Good luck...

One of my buddies actually went to "feel out" the issue. He asked for about 10 hours a month of extra "outside Part 91 Corporate flying." He spoke with an Asst. Chief and was told he could have 1 hour! I think because of the fact that he was already picking up an extra 15 hours a month of SWA flying. He then went and asked a Chief pilot the same question looking for a better answer; Answer: "Absolutly Not".

I'm a former Corporate guy and was going to try the same thing. But decided not to even bother. Instead I just do all the extra flying at SWA I can. I actually made out pretty well and I just got off 1st year probation. So in my case it really wasn't even worth it. Rules say you have to go to the VP of Flight Ops and I just wasn't too excited about doing that.

Yes, you can do it!!. You have to give your hours that you fly (part 91) to scheduling per month. It is really no big deal and I did it to help out an old employer. You get the letter from the VP of flt ops, takes a few weeks and you are good to go. Like I said it is no big deal, although not too many people do it.

Chances are you can make more money picking up flying at SWA then going back to an old employer to make ends meet first year.

Good luck what ever you decide.

Who do you want to work for SWA or your old employer?

I flew with a very senior captain that was doing it, to grease the skids for a flying job after he retired. I suspect it is easier for a guy who has been here forever to do it than a guy on probation but have no direct knowledge.

The other thing to consider is what effect a violation/infraction picked up at your part-time corporate gig might affect your primary/long term employment. Although I suppose the same argument could be made about flying for fun on the side, heck, it probably is.

And like other posters mentioned, it probably wouldn't be as lucrative as picking up extra at SWA. Even as a probation 1st year guy, you'll get paid at 2nd year rates for mostl extra flying you get (depending on how you get it).

I am wondering if Southwest allows any outside flying?

The Mil guys do it every weekend. Oh............yeah, that is different, sorry. :(

Who do you want to work for SWA or your old employer?

Interesting question? :cartman:

SWA F/O go back to your cage.... Your a Captain now right? Change the name you don't need to be associated with us lonely FO's...you might give us a bad name.... to late

Latest resources

Back