ANG FTU's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nikes,

Thx for the info. I'm not sure I have anything of value to offer you as far as advice goes, but I'd be happy to give you some potential pointers. You from AZ? Which part? Crossroads?

SMan

SMan,

Sorry to be late to reply. I've been at Luke for the syllabus conference. As to your question, there is absolutely no way to know where you will go to FTU. Relax, one of the reasons to be in the military AD/ANG/Reserve is to see the world. Springfield and San Antonio have great things to do and great people to meet. I'd guess you want to go to Luke because family or significant other is in PHX.. Brother you're going to have to get used to family separations and if you are not ready for that, then you signed up for the wrong career. \

Nikes is correct that the Guard only does (STS) one B-course per year and they are small classes at that. Did I mention that the current B-course at Springfield has 11 active duty punks and 1 guard punk. It just doesn't matter.

Ciao

Gumby

I wish that was the case. My first preference was to stay in-state. I went to your unit and talked to them, but they told me they don't hire guys off the street. They did let me try the simulators out though. That was pretty fun. I don't remember the pilots name that hosted me (it's been a few years), but I do remember that he was an ex-Navy pilot who flew A-6's or A-7's. I think he commuted from the Sierra Vista area? I was down in Sierra Vista on the same trip and saw a bunch of 16's doing approaches at an airfield where the Army fly's their UAV's (the Hunter I believe). That whole area is pretty nice. High desert, cooler temps. Really pretty during the Spring.

I also tried the reserve unit at Luke, but it sounds like they don't hire guys off the street anymore either, so I was forced to start looking out of state. I was offered an A-10 slot in a Reserve unit at Whiteman, but didn't take it. I ended up getting hired to fly 16's in Texas and am pretty excited to go down there. I was actually in Tucson at the beginning of this year. I had to enlist there so they could process my paperwork for UPT. My wife and I went over to the nuclear missle museum and went on one of their guided tours. It was a pretty interesting place. :)

How long have you been at TUS IAP? Do you ever have guard guys coming through for FTU or are you strictly training foreign sales pilots?

I'm currently a student and ERAU (PRC); I was down at TUS on March 1st to tour the 162FW thanks to a professor of mine who flew A-7/F-16 and TUS for 20+ years. That was an awesome experience, if I am not picked up by any ANG units in the next year or two I plan to go active duty or enlist at TUS.

Nikes

Well, congrats on being selected for a ANG Viper slot. I didn't think that we accepted "street people", so to speak, however we have sponsored prior active/Guard enlisted folk (which is the route I took). The only problem is finding a place for them to go for a couple years to build up their Falcon hours to qualify for an IP position. I believe we have a fellow flying with the Razorbacks in Ark. right now, doing that same thing... was prior enlisted AF, and a Tucson native.

And to answer your other question, we only do foreign pilot training down here in Tucson.

At any rate, you will enjoy the airplane (understatement), and make some great lifelong friends along the way.

-Hoss

P.S. you turned down an A-10 Rsv slot??!?

How long have you been at TUS IAP? Do you ever have guard guys coming through for FTU or are you strictly training foreign sales pilots?

Nikes,

I'd be happy to give you some ANG advise. Work has been super busy for me, but when I get some time, I'll post something for you.

Hoss,

Sounds like what they told me. I know of a guy on a few message boards that's enlisted down at TUS and just got picked up for UPT. Name is Nathan Garrett. Know him? Anyway, how many hours do you need in order to be an IP. I would consider coming back to AZ someday and maybe transferring to TUS after I put in 10 years or so.

The A-10 slot was a psuedo slot. I interviewed for 1 position there and it was filled by another guy. They asked me to come back in 6 months and take the slot that was to be offered then, but I turned them down. It was a big risk for me, since I had no assurance that I'd get another slot flying anything, anywhere, but ultimately, I didn't feel good about it and turning it down was the right thing for me to do at the time. Would've been a great plane to fly, no doubt, but in hindsight, I'm glad I didn't take it. I'm excited for the 16.

Tucson ANG

Hey SMAN, Hoss, et. all,

I didn't know there were so many people with ties to Tucson Guard here. I just started at ENJJPT (04-05) a month or so ago (I'm Nate, the guy that got picked up by Tucson this last go around). Hoss, I'm not sure if I met you or not while I was down there on "casual" status between AMS and ENJJPT. What squadron are you in? I'm sure I might have run into you (STS) at one point.

Anyways, if there's anyone that's thinking about doing the whole enlisted to UPT thing and has questions, I'll try and help. As SMAN said, I enlisted and got a UPT slot, I think it's a great way to go.

Tucson's a great unit to enlist in, BTW, only selects from within the unit for UPT and has a great bunch of IPs and a ton of jets. Good town too.

See ya,

Flaco (Nate)

Flaco,
I did not meet you, however I have heard of you (there's always talk amongst the pilots about the FNGs we sponsor. Don't worry, it's all been good, hehe). At any rate, I'm in the 148 FS.

Latest resources

Back