Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Be a professional.
Look after yourself and your crew.
You have no business being in command of an aircraft if you can't handle that.
Safety first. You need to take a break and eat. Go sit down and have a meal.

You guys are scaring me. Noone should have to tell you that if you're hungry to go take a break and eat.
Cecinctly and perfectly said! Captains have the fear of god put into them by the company. What about when my grandfather was a Captain and HE made the decisions pertaining to the crew when the aircraft was on the road as long as it didnt violate any policy??? Well said EMBDRVR!

Be a professional.
Look after yourself and your crew.
You have no business being in command of an aircraft if you can't handle that.
Safety first. You need to take a break and eat. Go sit down and have a meal.

You guys are scaring me. Noone should have to tell you that if you're hungry to go take a break and eat.

This is exactly how it needs to be, and the best thing I ever heard on the radio was:

"ops, gate 5 needs to hold of boarding"

ops: "for what?"

"food"

ops: "it'll be a crew delay"

"No problem, you want anything??"

I wanted to shake that captain's hand for that......

This is exactly how it needs to be, and the best thing I ever heard on the radio was:

"food"

thats priceless, did ops come back in that annoying clueless voice and go "uhhhh copy that"?

Wanted to get the forums thought about this.

Service charge would be like a dollar. You are just delivering to the airplane, and just trying to help crews out not get rich from it.

We would start with a small airport like lets say IND and see how many pilots actually would request this service then expand to a bigger airport lets say STL or IAD.

Most regional airlines that I have flown on dont provide crew meals and the pilots have to go get their own food or bring it with them.

Running a business like this takes a lot of time. So, if you don't want to get rich from it, I take it you wouldn't be the one delivering food? That means you have to hire someone in these cities to deliever the food..and we know the quality of workers in PHL, IAD, etc. If they don't make substantial money for as little work as possible, often they wouldn't show up or the radio would go unanswered, leaving your service unreliable at best.

If you're gonna start though, do it at the big airports. Takes longer to go between terminals and this can be a problem with short turns. Plus, you will get more orders = more $. Don't do it at a small airport with only a few orders a day.

As for everyone else on here arguing breaks, PDT gets a crew meal if we don't have a 45 min break in a 6 hour period. Often we exactly 45 or 46 minutes, therefore no break or free food. Going to get something besides Gut Rot or chinese in PHL is impossible with the bus system. This would be an excellent idea. Even if you have breaks early or late in the day not around meal times, you could still get something delievered when you are used to eating, not at a random 10:30 am for lunch or 3 pm.

The idea seems good, but it takes a lot more thought than first realized. The service charge would eventually go up to pay employees and make a little for yourself. Leading to cheap pilots saving money and going to get it themself and the business going away.

I thought about it several times in PHL or LGA were the terminals aren't connected, but gave up cause that's just way too much work and I'm lazy.

Last edited:

"food"

Beautiful.

See Dick rush. See Dick fly hungry. See Dick not attend to his physiological needs and needlessly put passengers and fellow crewmembers at risk. Don't be a Dick.

Beautiful.

See Dick rush. See Dick fly hungry. See Dick not attend to his physiological needs and needlessly put passengers and fellow crewmembers at risk. Don't be a Dick.

Absolutely. And: It takes as long as it takes. You can not control the lines at the resteraunts or the speed/timing of the airport transportation. You have to eat 3 times a day. You get back to the airplane when you are done eating.

It's a decent idea, just be careful and do research before starting service at a new hub. For example, at ExpressJet we have crew meals provided whenever we want, regardless of how much break time/flight time we've had. It's usually the same sandwiches we give to the pax, but every now and then I've had a first class CAL meal come over...grilled chicken and bread, etc. So, the service may or may not work that well in IAH. I assume the CAL guys have meals provided too though I don't know that for sure. Good luck to you.

Tim

Wanted to get the forums thought about this.

We have crews at the airline that I work for that fly into ORD,IAD or IND and really dont have time to get something to eat because they have been flying all day. What if there was a service that lets say you tune your radio to a certain freq and order like a subway sandwich, With the advent of the internet we can always find out the gate and time of arrival and the food would be there waiting for you. How many of you regional pilots would actually benefit from a service like this? Just wanted your thoughts. Service charge would be like a dollar. You are just delivering to the airplane, and just trying to help crews out not get rich from it.

We would start with a small airport like lets say IND and see how many pilots actually would request this service then expand to a bigger airport lets say STL or IAD.

Most regional airlines that I have flown on dont provide crew meals and the pilots have to go get their own food or bring it with them.

So what happens when you arrive with the food and they've pushed back? Have they prepaid or do they pay when you arrive? Did you front the money and then get left holding the bag? If they pre-pay, you better deliver! You're dealing with cheap a$$ pilots, they aren't going to do it to save time, they're only going to do it if it's cheap and easy.

The airport is certainly going to want in on the action, how much of a cut do they get? You're taking away from the airport money machine. If you're in ATL, plan on bribing the mayor, she'll most definitaly want some of the action. (Her ex-husband runs one of the ATL concessions and is in bancruptcy.) A dollar for delivery is pretty slim, you'd have to make a lot of deliveries to make anything decent. Good luck with that...

Latest resources

Back