AMS advice anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SMan

I'm going to AMS in August and would appreciate any advice from those who've been before.

Is there anything you didn't know when you went that you wish you would've known beforehand?

Are there any lessons learned that you can share on how not to make some of the common mistakes the uninformed make?

Things to bring?

Things not to bring?

Things you want/don't want to be caught doing?

Things you can do to make your life less miserable?

Tips, tricks, etc?

Please let the information flow.......

Many thanks,
SMan

"There's a website for all of your questions including the question about run times you had in a previous post. "

Thx for the response. Maybe I need to clarify my request some.....

I have read every word on the offical AMS web site numerous times over the past year, so I know what the "official" requirements are as far as how many pairs of socks to bring, etc. The site does a good job as far as that goes, but it doesn't give me what I want to know. What I'm looking for is "tribal" knowledge, i.e. lessons learned/what you would've done different if "only you would've known", etc. Also, the run times are not posted on the site. If you have any info in regards to that kind of information, it would be appreciated!

Thx,
SMan

skyward80,

PS. Your profile says you are going mil in the fall. This fall? Which branch, etc?

Contact Flaco for insider info on AMS. He just finished up a few months ago.

I dunno if AMS is different from OTS as far as the PFT requirements go, but the OTS PFT run time for males 24 and under is 12min for 1.5 miles. I am definitely not a gym rat, and I can do it with time to spare. The best thing to do is start conditioning now.

As for me, I was selected/accepted to fly for a USAF Reserve squadron located in the east. I have a Nov. 03 OTS date.

Lata!
Skyward80

AMS Advice

Hey dudes,

Congrats on being selected. AMS is not difficult. But there's a few things that you can do to make your life easier.

1.) Bring a laptop if you have one. If you bring a laptop, bring a printer. There are printers that are shared by your squadron, but it's easier if you have your own.

2.) Don't bring a bunch of civilian clothes, etc. You won't be able to wear them until the very last day when you leave.

3.) Don't do anything stupid while you're there. They'll give you enough rope to hang yourself with. There's a few stories that floated around of people getting kicked out of AMS for relatively "minor" things.

4.) Do party with your friends when they let you. When you're allowed to go to the O Club, do it. When they let you go off base, do it.

5.) They're gonna yell alot during AMS. Hopefully you've already realized that. No matter what they say, just say "Yes sir/No sir" and do whatever it is that they're yelling about, no matter how trivial. If you do this, you'll be amazed at how quickly they forget about you.

6.) Don't take it too seriously. AMS is a cake-walk.

If you've got other specific questions, PM me.

Flaco

AMS

Just one more detail. Flaco mentioned taking a PC, and a printer. I found out after I got there, that several people were able to 'sign out' PCs from their unit. Silly did I look when I went out and bought one. Also, DO take a printer (and a pack of transparencies for your presentations), they have free paper and tranparencies, but for laser printers. And they won't let you interchange floppies between their PCs and yours.

No Marine DI, but people do fail to make it thru. And for the most trivial BS. Just don't do anything stupid, and you'll be fine.

Good Luck

is AMS what the guard does instead of OTS? If so, is that the case for all of the guard, meaning- if I were to get accepted for a UPT slot as a guard member would I be going to AMS or OTS? Thanks in advance

That's correct. AMS is for the guard, OTS is for active duty. If you are selected for a UPT slot via the guard, you would get your commission at AMS.

Latest resources

Back