• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bluestreak

Fitty-Six F100's rock
American Eagle Announces Sale of Executive Airlines
Wednesday November 6, 8:03 am ET
FORT WORTH, Texas, Nov. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Eagle Airlines today announced that it has signed a letter of intent to proceed with the sale of Executive Airlines. Executive currently operates as American Eagle out of its hubs in Miami and San Juan, providing service to destinations throughout Florida, the Caribbean and the Bahamas. The sale is expected to close near the end of first quarter 2003.
ADVERTISEMENT

American Eagle is taking this step to ensure that American Airlines stays in compliance with its contract with the Allied Pilots Association (APA). That contract limits the amount of flying which can be done on the American code.
"Although I am disappointed that we have had to take this step, this transaction achieves a number of objectives," said Peter M. Bowler, President of American Eagle. "First, it keeps American in compliance with the 'scope clause' imposed in the contract between American and APA. Second, it preserves jobs at both Executive and Eagle by avoiding the necessity of grounding additional aircraft, which would have been the alternative to the sale. And finally, the sale will provide American with valuable and profitable feed traffic."
Eagle has entered the agreement with Joaquin Bolivar, a Puerto Rican businessperson and Chairman and CEO of the Water Club Hotel and the Excelsior Hotel, both in San Juan. Mr. Bolivar also founded Executive Air Charter in 1979, and owned Puerto Rico's largest chain of travel agencies, Bithorn Travel, from 1990 to 1999.
The transaction will include a marketing partnership under which Executive will continue to provide feed traffic to American -- but using its own designator code, rather than American's -- to and from San Juan and the American Airlines hub in Miami. Its operations will use the AmericanConnection(SM) service mark, a service mark licensed by American to independent regionals that provide American with feed. Financial details regarding the sale were not released.
"An ongoing relationship with Executive was very important in evaluating the sale," commented Bowler. "Executive really has an outstanding group of employees. They've done a terrific job of providing safe and reliable service to Eagle customers in Florida, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.
"While we're sorry that we have to take this step, we are pleased to be able to sell this airline to the man who founded it over 20 years ago," concluded Bowler.
Gary Ellmer, Executive Airline's current president, will remain at Executive after the sale. Ellmer joined American Eagle in 1999 as regional vice president of its Northeast region, after Eagle acquired Business Express Airlines, where Ellmer served as president and chief operating officer.

So what's the deal with the flight crews?? Are they "sold" to executive as well? If so, when they were based down there, were they employees of executive or AE?

The AE pilots agreement specifically states that both the affected pilots and the AE pilot contract go with the sale to the new (old) owner.

The AE pilots union will request a "system flush", but AMR will balk due to the cost. From what I see, there is no language requiring a flush in the event of sale.

The NEW Executive pilots will be free to negotiate a new contract in 2004 (Can you say strike ?).

This will trim the Eagle pilot ranks from approx. 2400 down to 2000. If they sell the SF3 operation in the fall of 2003 (VERY likely as this is less profitable and valuable than the Carribean operation), than look for Eagle to be a all RJ operator by the end of 2003 with about 170 RJ's and 1700 pilots.

I just spoke with a friend down there who thinks this might be a good thing.

Per the agreement pilots can bid back to Eagle for up to five years but it must be in higher paying aircraft. AE is now getting more jets based on the sale of Executive. This could then allow folks in the ATR to bid back to the jet. i.e. they couldn't bid back to the Saab.

I am sure everyone has an opinion on either side of the issue. I don't know what happens if you are able to bid back to a jet. Will you still get a number with American if you are a captain on the jet?

- AZPilot

That's all very interesting. How do the pilots down there feel about being sold with the team??

I can see the future... A highly paid Delta Captain is called in the CPs office. John, I hate to tell you this, but you've been traded. America West has offered 3 junior first officers and a couple cases of peanuts for you. With the economy the way it is and your contract not having a no trade clause, the company couldn't say no. I'm sorry John.

chperplt said:
That's all very interesting. How do the pilots down there feel about being sold with the team??

Just a guess, but I'd say it beats an announcement of 400 more furloughs and these folks competing to get hired into their own seat (that is, if Executive doesn't require senority resignation)....

...what an industry... even the surprises don't really surprise me anymore....

There are NO stipulations regarding "higher paying aircraft". In fact you may even take a pay CUT.

Example :

You are an ATR F/O when sale closes. Due to attrition you upgrade to ATR captain 2 years later. One year after that, you have the opportunity to bid back to Eagle. Although you kept your Eagle DOH , that only buys you into a jet F/O seat.

Which pays less than your current ATR captains seat. But you MAY be more than halfway up the F/O list and could look forward to upgrade in 5 years or so (remember,this is EAGLE !).

Another

I have been saying all along that the relationship with regionals is changing right in front of our eyes. The carriers will continue to distance themselves from the regional carriers.

You can say strike in 2004, but, remember, you are now talking about a small regional carrier, not American. You shut down and they will have someone else there the next day.

Along the lines of Publisher's logic, just who might be that "someone else there the next day" that you have in mind?

In the event of a strike, all Executive flying would promptly be branded as struck work.

The ownership shell game would be irrelevant to that simple fact.

Yes, but in the case of most majors, they are placing multiple feeders in each hub or could always route traffic to other hubs, blunting any job action.

The word of the future :

WHIPSAW.

...and who perfected it in the '90's.

AMR.

Latest resources

Back