Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMR - Dallas Base - Very senior or what?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tweaker

BOHICA
How does DFW run as an AMR base? I would expect it is quite senior.

It is the only AMR base I would be happy living in, is why I'm asking. Anyone got any ideas?

Yes, this is not a near term proposition, chillax.

Thanks!

Hey Tweaker,

I don't have any info on AMR bases, but while you're appealing to people who would know... What about MIA? How junior is that base?

DFW = very senior. To put it in perspective - I am in my 14th year and can just now be a bottom lineholder/senior reserve MD80 F/O. I can also just barely hold 737 F/O, but deep reserve.

That said - when AA is in hiring mode, as it was in '98-'00, you could bid and get awarded DFW within a month or two of new hire class. Heck, in early '00, some of my classmates were awarded DFW 75/76 Int'l F/O within a couple months. So when we start hiring again, you should be able to get a DFW slot relatively quickly. But you will be on reserve a LOOONG time.

In shrinkage mode, DFW is the first to start displacing out of base. During the past ten dark years, there were guys bumped out of there that weren't reinstated for a good 7 years.

MIA = *THE MOST* Junior base we have. Even more junior than NY. Thatis where the majority start as new hires, and guys used to joke that in furlough mode you will do the "Miami Death March" where you slowly bump down to the most junior equipment out of MIA before you get canned.

I am currently based in MIA and it has pretty much the best flying in the system. Europe, Deep South, Caribbean and Domestic. All that's missing is Asia, hopefully that will come when we get more 773s on line. As a 14th year 75/76 F/O I am about 65% on the list in MIA, flying only Caribbean and S America Lite stuff (no all nighters.) Sweet bid status. MIA is slated to grow the most out of all our bases. It is a cash cow for AA and a great base to fly out of.

Last edited:
Hey aa73:
Another former ACA'er and I were both surprised to hear MIA was the most junior. We would have both guessed for sure it was the iron triangle of (JFK,LGA,EWR) Any insight on why it is so junior down there. Is it a commute from hell ? Frozen inquiring minds want to know ;-)

No clue on why it's so Junior. I've wondered that myself. I guess there are lots of commuters (myself included) and, as good as the flying is, there's some flying that kind of sucks.

For example, tons of double all nighters down to EZE, SCL, MVD, GIG, etc. They tend to go senior but no thanks. We even have a MIA-Brasilia (BSB) flight on the 757 that is a two man crew and leaves at 23:35 and arrives around 9am - a 7hr flight in the dead of night with no breaks! UGH.

I am a die-hard Pilot of the Caribbean. Daytime stuff / same time zone only, thank you very much. Even Europe sucks for me - and that is UBER senior in MIA. I like to fly 2, maybe 3hrs max and settle down on a beach on my same time zone. All those gray haired senior cats can fight over the Deep South/Europe stuff all they want!

That said, MIA is kind of like a mini-DFW with how big it is. The difference is that DFW has relatively few commuters (most folks live in base) and the cost of living in DFW is WAY cheaper compared to MIA, hence DFW is more senior.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, aa73! That was what I suspected. I'm happy where I am, but I like to have teh lay of the land, ya know.

I'll wager that MIA is just a culture and climate that appeals to the fewest number of pilots. I know I would prefer it to the Anus Triangle! Interesting that it will grow the most. I thought it would be LA LA Land, as that would feed Asia.

LearLove, your sentiment is silly and not very welcoming. Of course, you are free to state it, just sayin'.

I would be all over the Cheeseburger in Paradise career myself, aa73! We don't have hardly any RONs in the Carib or Central America. Just fly down, buy some cheap booze and fly back. Great for a base living boy like me in a line with nothing but that. Lots of time off, and that goes very senior as well. Not very exciting tho.

I guess with these new pay rates, I'll just go down there on my days off, as I can soon afford it. Anyone want to buy a van? It's down by the river. Overpowering odor of fear and self-loathing comes free.

Turnarounds are great if you live in base. We do have quite a few of those out of MIA. Me, as a commuter, I much prefer the 3 day Carib trips. This month I've got UIO/SJU, SXM/SJO and BGI/STT. It's rough I know but someone's gotta do it. :cool:

Latest resources

Back