• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMICEATM!! wtf??? Comair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I got my instrument ticket at Sunrise Aviation at John Wayne Airport, Calif.

We learned the following ancroym: AHARMMMS

(A)tis
(H)eading
(A)ltitude (at FAF)
(R)adio setup
(M)arkers
(M)inima
(M)issed
(S)low to appch speed

Sounds long and no, its not some type of missle ;)
It actually worked out well and it was meant for student pilots. They don't expect you to go off to an airline and tell your Captain, "okay, lets do AHARMMMS" .. its just a learning tool.

At John Wayne we taxi on centerline until we are holding short of a runway. Then we move and hold to either the left or right depending on our departure. We don't however taxi off center unless there is an aircraft coming directly towards us.

Mitsipilot said:
Lucky,

Unfortunately the article gave no reason for this nonstandard requirement. Thank you for informing me of Sanford ATC policies. I have never been to Sanford and as long as I have been flying, I have never heard of such a thing. What happens when you tell ATC that you will not taxi off of centerline due to potential obstruction clearance issues? There is a centerline for a reason. It just doesn't sound like a very safe way of operating around a busy airport. Hopefully once your guaranteed that right seat CRJ job with Comair, you will remember to get back on the centerline before you tear a wing off.

As far as the acronym, I still thinks its kinda of silly. The author says that he was looked down upon for trying to use the briefing strip already printed on the approach plate. And the biggest joke was when the Comair instructor said that this was used by the airlines.

Obviously you jumped in not knowing what you were talking about, got corrected, and now find the need to make snide comments to cover your error.

Perhaps it is when you are in the right seat that you should learn to keep your mouth shut and listen a little bit more.

If you have a problem with the safety of Sanford airport operations then perhaps you should address them , I believe someone gave you the contact. But ease off the instructors they are simply following their expected guidelines.

Good for you thinking the acronym is silly, whatever it takes for someone to learn is all that is important, and until you sit in every cockpit , the joke is on you.

Perhaps you should learn a bit more about what you are talking about, before you make fun of someone's procedures.

Obviously, we have a large group of Comair Academy alumnis here. Thank you all for giving me the facts. And now that I have the facts, I still think these are two items are somewhat ridiculous.

Now, I can understand that Sanford ATC is responsible for the abnormal taxi operations. I just hope you all make it very clear to your students that when they are flying at other airports; GET ON THE CENTERLINE.

As far as these acronyms go, I surely don't think this is something you should cram down someone's throat. Especially, when you have an ATP pilot who shows up for a recurrent IPC. It is all a matter of technique and you can't teach someone that, nor force them to change the way they have been operating for years.

I truly did not start this thread to upset anyone nor to stir up the pot. I read the article and was honestly shocked at what was said. This may be the fault of the author for not painting the true picture. I did not go thru a pilot factory such as Comair, which I am very thankful. I was not forced to learn one way, and one way only.

"Now, I can understand that Sanford ATC is responsible for the abnormal taxi operations. I just hope you all make it very clear to your students that when they are flying at other airports; GET ON THE CENTERLINE. "

So by that statment I guess there are no othere airports that will have a pilot taxi on the right side of the centerline.

Call me crazy about safety, but I for one tend to learn all I can about an airport before I travel to it, much less open my mouth saying something is "ridiculous."

I don't think it's a bunch of Comair Alum's in here, just professionals tired of the ignorance.

What school do you work for ?

They used to do that offset taxiing in Vero Beach, too. I don't recall doing it in Sanford when I instructed at the Comair Sweatshop Academy. It's no big deal though. Just a way to keep things moving.
As for acronyms, I used to make up all sorts of nonsensical ones to remember things. Whatever it takes, right?

Vero taxiing

When did they have offset taxiing in Vero? I don't remember it from when I was at FSI. Of course, that was ten years ago . . . . .

Latest resources

Back