Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

threegreen

Mmmm, I look good.
What's it like? I know you guys do a lot of ad hoc work out there - just wondering what the schedules are. How many hrs a month are you flying? Thanks for any info.

Check your PM's.

DR

Cincinnati is a unique base for Ameriflight... all of their planes fly on-demand charter, so you won't be home every night, that's for sure. I want to show it in a fair way, so here are some pros and cons:

PROS:
- You'll get to do a different kind of flying- a variety of airports at a variety of times (day flying, wow!)
- You MAY log more time than a scheduled run at another base, if that's what you're looking for. Then again, you may go 3 weeks without flying like one pilot there.
- You'll gain a lot of skills in weather (thunderstorms especially, sometimes fog), if you're from the West.
- Maintenance is good, and the pilots have a good relationship with them.
- The managers are fair with pay, including overtime and weekend pay.

CONS:
- Your schedule is mostly unknown, and sometimes your schedule will be changed at the last minute. They try to tell you your schedule a few days in advence, but it'll change.
- You MUST sit at the airport when you are on reserve, for the entire time you are scheduled (12 hours).
- You may not get home every night, and you may be away for weeks with no warning. It's not a good place for pilots with pets.
- Duty days will exceed 12 hours regularly, expect 16 hour days.
- You load the airplane. Expect 1,000 pound skids, or 200 small boxes, it's always different.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or post the question here.

Good luck finding a base that fits you!

-S

Latest resources

Back