amerijet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

amf99driver

anybody know anything about amerijet? are they any good to work for? any outlook for pilot hiring? any info would be appreciated. thanks

Worked for them about 10 yeas ago. It would depend on what seat you were hired into. F/O's were at the bottom of the pack, FE next and Captain's were little Gods. Even if they screwed up aircraft. They use pilot engineers, so I understand now everyone except qualified Captains are hired into the engineer seat. When I was there, they had a 2 year contract and paid crappy wages. It is my understanding it hasn't changed much. They tend to chase the good people off.

As for hiring, I don't know. I understand they are still having financial problems, so hiring is most likely spotty.

Good luck.

My sim partner from CoEx and I are good friends and he used to fly for Amerijet. He has told me that they hire you into a seat as a career. In other words, they hire off the street Captains, F/Os and, F/E's and that's what you remain throughout your career, no advancement.

When I was there, I saw several FE's promoted to F/O and one F/O promoted to Captain. But you had to kiss some very serious ass. If they didn't like you, your schedule was beyond abusive.

All of the above posts may have been somewhat true at one time but do not apply anymore.

I worked there from 98 to Feb '01 and can tell you it was one of the best places to work as far as "bottom-feeder" cargo airlines is concerned.

They used to require a 2 year training contract if you were hired into the 3rd seat. No, more... Paid me back all the money they took plus interest. Also, they stopped hiring captains off the street and lots of guys went from FE to Captain in 3-4 years.

Upgrade was about 1-2 years to from FE to FO and everyone had a fair shot regardless of your flight time.

Work rules were put into effect when management feared the Teamsters would come on the property and everyone got a substantial raise...I started at $30/hr and was at $48/hr a year and a half later, with a 60hr guarantee. Compare that to a regional.

You could either fly your butt off out in the Caribbean but be home after every flight, or fly the "easier" Domestic routes in and out of Dayton, OH and be based at one of several locations, hotel and car rental paid for with a two-on two-off schedule, and weekends off... 15 to 18 days off per month.

We had 12 727-200's (now only 5 or 6) all with the exception of 2 were GPS equiped and had the more powerful -15 or -17 engines
and about half of them had the "quiet wing" conversion.

It wasn't a bad place to work! I've tried to go back, but now they are not growing and therefore no one is going anywhere, especially in this economy.

Long time ago - '98. Tried to get hired but they wanted over 1000 TT even for the FE seat in order to upgrade.

Later - Christmas time - '00. Flying for another carrier and jumpseated from INDI to DEN on Amerijet. Aircraft had no lav. They told me one of the requirements to get hired there was to have one so long you could tie it in a knot. Don't meet that qualification so I never got hired there.

Very funny!

If you would have got hired anytime after summer of 99 you would have never upgraded to FO before the big furlough anyway and you were responsible for getting your own FE ticket.

Yeah, the down side to the whole job were two things... no lav... You had to piss in a bag (made for that reason). If things got worse and you had to go #2...they finally incorporated the emergency potty which was a large bag that fit over a small folding chair. Fortunately I never had to use it but it got close a couple of times!

The other downside was there were no accomodations for food and water. You either knew where you could get it at your destination or you brought it along in your own cooler or you just starved your @ss.

When I finally got to an Airline that served food and had lavs on the airplanes... What a nice surprise that was! Now that I've been on furlough for the last four months, the last thing I'm worried about is a potty on the airplane.

;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back