American/us air hiring vs consolidation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

i fly boxes

I am wondering what everyone thinks going forward, with 14000 pilots on the date of closing, obviously they will have the most of any airline. Us air is hiring a lot of pilots right now and American will as well soon. With retirements there will be some years where it hits 900 per year in 5 years or so but do you think they plan on keeping 14000 pilots? Especially with the new 175s coming on line at the regional level. Deltas pilot group is way smaller than at date of closing on their merger and they haven't hired since 2008. You can't deny the need to replace the staggering amount of retirements at American but I am wondering if they may "right size" the airline for the first 2 or 3 years by simply not replacing retirements. I hope this is not the case and they continue to hire, that way starting next year pilots will have the choice of 3 legacy carriers and numerous low cost carriers.

Simply put, in the current economic environment there is no incentive to further reduce fleet counts anywhere among US carriers. Flights are full and profitable. And there is no significant overlap in route structures so not much redundancy where 2 small aircraft can be replaced by one large. What the future brings economically is anyone's guess, but I don't foresee an overall reduction in pilot numbers in the combined carrier.

The Delta merger was a slightly different story because there was more overlap and the merger occurred at the same time age 65 kicked in. Then the housing bubble burst and the economy nearly imploded, too.

Last edited:
I am wondering what everyone thinks going forward, with 14000 pilots on the date of closing, obviously they will have the most of any airline. Us air is hiring a lot of pilots right now and American will as well soon. With retirements there will be some years where it hits 900 per year in 5 years or so but do you think they plan on keeping 14000 pilots? Especially with the new 175s coming on line at the regional level. Deltas pilot group is way smaller than at date of closing on their merger and they haven't hired since 2008. You can't deny the need to replace the staggering amount of retirements at American but I am wondering if they may "right size" the airline for the first 2 or 3 years by simply not replacing retirements. I hope this is not the case and they continue to hire, that way starting next year pilots will have the choice of 3 legacy carriers and numerous low cost carriers.

I don't know how many active pilots Delta has but FWIW there are around 12,700 active positions when adding up AA and US.

Also, while AA has a large amount of retirements in the future, US east has a large percentage just starting now. Contractual improvements for the East and new flight time rules are also driving hiring.

Ok, let's be realistic.. When, over the last 30 years, has any rosy prediction ever amounted to anything.. Other than lots more thorns! :D

Ok, let's be realistic.. When, over the last 30 years, has any rosy prediction ever amounted to anything.. Other than lots more thorns! :D

True. However, I think realistic worse case scenario for the next 3-5 years is stagnation, not furloughs.

At least my dues will go from 2.45% to 1% and I might actually have a real union to represent me, not just a select group of angry old farts...

Block hour minimums prevent that . They will have to hire!
I agree they demanded our old block hour and min fleet protection, offered up this rolling scheme so they could help us all out with more hiring.
I'm so glad we have this benevolent management team looking out for our interests

As the saying goes past behavior is a good indication of future behavior.

Doug Parker doesn't seem to be a big fan of expansion and ordering aircraft. He spends all of his energy making deals and looking for synergies. He is an outspoken advocate of consolidation. I would expect zero growth, higher pilot utilization, and increasing yields unless he opts for an early retirement. My guess is that he will improve the short term fundamentals in order to drive the stock price higher. Buying aircraft and hiring thousands of pilots does not help the near term bottom line.

I bet he keeps the airline right at block hour mins and hires only to replace retirements. Probably will fill the gaps in the international route map with increased codes sharing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back