• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American slides off runway.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let me guess.....another CP or CAirman trying to get current??

Glad everyone is ok.

737 is a great airplane, with very mediocre brakes. I'm not surprised they occasionally go off the paved surface. More surprised that they don't go off more frequently.

While the 738 is no 757, the brakes are as effective as they can be for dual-wheel axles. The problem with the 738 is the artificially-high Vref speeds for tail strike issues. I've never seen a Vref lower than 135kts, and that was with a VERY light load. You just have to be aggressive in setting it down on short runways and not be hesitant to use brakes 3 or Max, along with the dreaded 40 Flaps. Using those techniques, it stops no problemo. It just lands fast.

These guys, from the looks of it, may have slid off trying to make one of the high speed turnoffs. It was not a runway overrun, not even close. Glad it turned out OK.

While the 738 is no 757, the brakes are as effective as they can be for dual-wheel axles. The problem with the 738 is the artificially-high Vref speeds for tail strike issues. I've never seen a Vref lower than 135kts, and that was with a VERY light load. You just have to be aggressive in setting it down on short runways and not be hesitant to use brakes 3 or Max, along with the dreaded 40 Flaps. Using those techniques, it stops no problemo. It just lands fast.

These guys, from the looks of it, may have slid off trying to make one of the high speed turnoffs. It was not a runway overrun, not even close. Glad it turned out OK.

Word.

Twy E isn't technically a high-speed. I wonder if they thought it was.

Originally Posted by Ad Lib
737 is a great airplane, with very mediocre brakes. I'm not surprised they occasionally go off the paved surface. More surprised that they don't go off more frequently.

Have you ever seen a -700 land at EYW?

The point that Ad Lib was making was in regards to the 737-800. The 700 is capable of the short runways while the 800 requires a little more work. As mentioned, the 700 Vref speed is usually about 135 while the 800 Vref is 150. At flaps 30 and autobrakes 3 the 800 requires 6700ft vs 5600 for the 700. With the high ref speeds and mediocre brakes the 800 just simply doesn't slow down and stop like the 700.

The point that Ad Lib was making was in regards to the 737-800. The 700 is capable of the short runways while the 800 requires a little more work. As mentioned, the 700 Vref speed is usually about 135 while the 800 Vref is 150. At flaps 30 and autobrakes 3 the 800 requires 6700ft vs 5600 for the 700. With the high ref speeds and mediocre brakes the 800 just simply doesn't slow down and stop like the 700.

The reason the -800 requires more work is not due to "mediocre brakes" but rather, as you mentioned, the higher approach speeds. The brakes are very effective, they just have to dissipate a lot more energy.

Autobrake 3 works fine as long as you get them off by 80 or so. I do not recommend MAX on a bare and dry runway.

Latest resources

Back