American Airlines Asks Pilots for Overtime with 2600 furloughed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As Devil's Advocate:
1) How do you train so many pilots in such a short time?
2) What do you do in January when traffic slumps for the winter after the holidays?

XTW said:
At truly fine organization:rolleyes: , that has absolutely no grasp of reality! The proverbial "ship without a rudder".
As a pilot I don't like it either but thats what management is suppose to do, get the most out of the employees you have.

It is a lot cheaper for a company to pay a pilot time and a half, or even double, than to higher an additional employee with full company benefits. Its all about the bottom line and trying to keep the stockholders happy, not the pilots. Sad but true .

how about not furloughing so many??

46Driver said:
As Devil's Advocate:
1) How do you train so many pilots in such a short time?
2) What do you do in January when traffic slumps for the winter after the holidays?

Don't get all over AA's case, they don't even have to ask for people to pick up the slack at Delta. The Green slips have been going out like hot cakes since before 9/11, after 9/11, before holidays, after holidays, round the clock. Not to mention hiring back retiree's to fly the line. 718 furloughed still.

FYI

They have a plan. How dare you criticize the great Oz, er, I mean AMR!?

This is the same plan every other airline uses--furlough until you get so short that you lose money.TC

767..street said:
Most AA pilots do not care about the pilots on furlough because 90+% of the furloughs are TWA guys not AA.
<sigh> Always gotta be some bitter soul that brings this up no matter what the subject matter. This comment has no bearing whatsoever to the subject matter. Move on dude.

As for the ORIGINAL thread that was started, this is a bad situation for the junior guys. Can we count on the majority of the membership to "do the right thing?" This is a sure sign that AA management is feeling the heat of 2700 guys on the street.

Stay strong, stay united. Happy holidays,

This is a sure sign of AMR feeling the heat from so many freaking companies hiding behind bankruptcy protection. The LLC's probably have a lot to do with it too. Atleast AMR is trying to run a legit operation. Good luck guys!

this is a perfect example of why this company, its leadership, and it's employees don't get along. they still don't have a freagin clue.

amr has spent thousands (perhaps hundreds of thousands) on 'consulting' to mend the mgmt./ employee rift in the last year and still they choose to air their requests of employees via a press release!

if this happened at southwest (or any other carrier), it would be laughable. since this happened at amr, it's a non-event. par for the course.

What's makes amr mgmt. look like clowns even more is they are making a mockery out of themselves by asking for 'help' to make it through the holidays...by releasing this to the press just mere DAYS before they 'really' need help? Like, could you see pilots and flight attendants: "hmm, let me see if I can totally rearrange my dinner plans tomorrow so that my company can post a million less in LOSSES this month b/c they are 'short' employees'.

BOy, that's gotta give the flying public warm and fuzzies about their operation! Almost as bad as asking their passengers to 'help clean up the plane' so that they can turn it faster!

they don't call them sky nazi's for nothing!

happy holidays and don't fly amr....they may not have enough people to safely get you where you are paying them to take you!

Latest resources

Back