• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Morettis,

CAN IT.

Jergarr999,

He is doing OK, and so is his kids. That is all I will say.

UPS Capt,

99TH was his favorite bird.

CC

Morettis,

CAN IT.

What is it with you people who go off the deep end when someone asks questions about an incident? Morettis wasn't pointing fingers, or speculating, just asking a question. I don't see what the big deal is. If something like that happened to me, I'd sure want people to learn from my experience. I really don't see anything wrong with hashing out some possible factors or scenarios... especially by people who do the same kind of flying in the same kind of equipment. It can be a completely harmless learning experience.

So why don't you CAN IT?

Last edited:
So back to the whole point of this thread, Does anyone know why this plane crashed 10 miles short on an ILS? At DH and 10 miles from the airport isn't exactly a normal place for a plane to crash.

NOW, before the high and mighty CitationCapt or flyer7rm go bashing me, I'm not bashing the pilot, this has nothing to do with the pilot and I could care less about him other than to hear that he made it through ok.

People here act like making a mistake is the biggest thing in the world and you should hide it in shame until a Federal Agency prints what happened for all to see.

The pilot made a mistake, plain and simple. Most other pilots would like to know what it was so that we don't ball up a plane right next to his. If you don't want to know what went wrong? well, I'm just glad I fly single pilot.

This pilot is of great character and judgement in my 18 years knowing him.

I agree with leaving the judgement to the NTSB and not on this board.

CC

Because we all know that nothing happens until the FAA and the NTSB says it happens. No sense in anyone maybe learning something in the next year before they come out with the official report. Glad he's ok.

The pilot made a mistake, plain and simple. Most other pilots would like to know what it was so that we don't ball up a plane right next to his. If you don't want to know what went wrong? well, I'm just glad I fly single pilot.

How do you know it wasn't equipment error?

PFT @ Alpine

Before I go off on 80for80, this. I dispise the whole PFT thing and think it is morally wrong.

But,

WTF does that (your question) have anything to do with anything? Even if it was a PFT flying, where was the (non?) PFT captain?

Go back to the regionals forum and bash on Mesa you tool.

I dispise the whole PFT thing as well. The reason he asked this question is because some of these PFTers are sorry ass pilots. Sometimes a Capt. cannot correct a bad decision in enough time to save the day.... especial at 200ft @ DH.

I dispise the whole PFT thing as well. The reason he asked this question is because some of these PFTers are sorry ass pilots. Sometimes a Capt. cannot correct a bad decision in enough time to save the day.... especial at 200ft @ DH.

I disagree 100%. The responsibility of a captain is to maintain the complete picture. No matter who is flying.

I disagree 100%. The responsibility of a captain is to maintain the complete picture. No matter who is flying.

Really, how about I prove you wrong... I worked in Utica, NY (UCA) for 2 years flying for an aerial mapping company, Sept 02 - June 04. While I was there an AirNet Lear Jet crashed, I have pictures of the wreakage on the ramp...

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20040323X00356&key=1

NTSB Identification: NYC04LA088.
The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact Records Management Division
Nonscheduled 14 CFR Part 135: Air Taxi & Commuter
Accident occurred Friday, March 19, 2004 in Utica, NY
Probable Cause Approval Date: 12/3/2004
Aircraft: Gates Learjet 35A, registration: N800AW
Injuries: 2 Uninjured.
The copilot was flying an ILS approach at an airspeed of Vref plus 10 knots, and the captain made visual contact with the runway about 350 feet agl. The airplane then drifted high on the glideslope, and the copilot decreased engine power. The sink rate subsequently became too great. By the time the captain called for a go-around, the airspeed had deteriorated, and the stick shaker activated. Although power was applied for the go-around, the airplane impacted the runway in a level attitude before the engines spooled up. The airplane came to rest in snow, about 20 feet off the left side of the runway, near mid-field. The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The copilot's failure to maintain airspeed, and the captain's delayed remedial action, which resulted in an inadvertent stall and the subsequent hard landing.

Last edited:
I don't understand how that proves me wrong. It's a crew environment but the captain has the ultimate authority. That is why we're given and we accept the responsibility.

In the Airnet accident you cited it appears that the F.O. was over his/her head. The captain should recognize that, it's a difficult job. Thats why we get paid so much.

Latest resources

Back