Alpha Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How did you get there?

I'm retiring in early 09 from the USAF. I have a PPL and am planning on going to Prairie Air Service for my instrument, commercial SE ratings. I then plan on moving to Peach Tree / Atlanta area to get my CFI ratings and instruct until I have 1000 TT w/ 200 ME. Those are just my hard flight times for personal reasons and I want to enjoy the time / decompress , mentor some young folks. Planning on instructing somewhere with international students...

-LAFF

As of now there is no talk of more bases. PDK and FXE are relativlely new bases and there are some growing pains with these. Overall the company is very good. One of the perx is that while on the road you get a rental car. Hopefully with the Grob new bases will come up.

Potentially what is the payscale for the Grob looking like on the FO and Capts. side?

Grob

As of now I know that there will be a pay jump but I really have no idea what it will be. I do know that the progression to get to the Grob will go like this. Right seat PC12-left seat PC12-right seat Grob-left seat Grob. I also know that when you go left seat PC12 to right seat grob there is no pay decrease. But specific numbers I don't know.

The numbers were pretty pathetic (in the 5 figures less than Avantair at year 10) when I was there and was one of the primary reasons that I left. Rumor has it that they will update the pay scales but with all the other major fracs bumping up the pay recently, there is just no way they will compete. Alpha will be marketing the Grob against the Beechjet and Excel and that is where the pay should be, IMO.

A bud of mine showed me the rates proposed in '07. As I remember, they were on par with Flight Options rates. This person does expect to see an update to the initial rates. Especially with the recent competitor pay advances. However, speculation is that the adjustment will still be at best 25% below Netjets/CS/Flexjet rates with a cap probably in the $100k range.

Apparently it took two years for mgt. to implement 7/7 and even then they were very reluctant to do so. Attrition looks to be the motivating factor and with rates as this person expects, they will certainly be in full-time hiring mode for years to come. I would hate to be in the training dept. at this operation. It may be a good opportunity/alternative for those that can't make the grade at the top three paying fracs. but of course it will come at a cost. Maybe they'll get lucky with the "WOW I'd love to fly the Grob for 25% less pay" crowd, but I know this person for the reasons outlined above has considered Alpha a stepping stone vs. a career move. Best of luck!

Thanks....I'm certainly not willing to fly for peanuts. Despite the fact I'll have a USAF O4 pension to help me out I still expect to be treated / paid like a professional.

I would consider Alpha Flying a career. I like their Atlanta / Peach Tree location. Its close to my family and friends in NC / SC.

-LAFF

The numbers were pretty pathetic (in the 5 figures less than Avantair at year 10) when I was there and was one of the primary reasons that I left. Rumor has it that they will update the pay scales but with all the other major fracs bumping up the pay recently, there is just no way they will compete. Alpha will be marketing the Grob against the Beechjet and Excel and that is where the pay should be, IMO.
Excel and Beechjet eh? Is that a case of in-between the two? They're two totally different cabins. Just curious.

Seems like getting Alpha to provide competitive pay rates and QOL is like squeezing blood from a stone.

Mr. I.

Excel and Beechjet eh? Is that a case of in-between the two? They're two totally different cabins. Just curious.

Seems like getting Alpha to provide competitive pay rates and QOL is like squeezing blood from a stone.

Mr. I.

In between would have been a more accurate statement.

I sure hope that they do decide to offer better pay rates. With all of the major fracs offering up much better pay, there is just no viable avenue to staffi that airplane in the long term. Sure some of the more senior guys will stick around due to the huge cut in pay taken when starting over, but where the heck are they going to get new blood over the next few years? I hope I'm wrong, but fear that I am not.

That Grob looks a lot more capable than the Beechjet (not a surprise). AF should have no problem selling it to that target market as long as the cost is competitive. What's the Grob price point again?

Will the Grob compete with the P180 market segment as well?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back