• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA to uphold and defend AAA/HP seniority list

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA Merger Policy. Worked then; works now.

Hide behind the word "Binding" all you want. There is an expectation that a reasonable standard will be maintained by the arbitrator. I guess it is safe to assume that if he would have decided that all AAA East pilots should be immediately terminated, you would defend that also. He dropped the ball without imposing fences, conditions and restirictions etc. so no, it did not work in this case and the East pilots will fight to prevent you from realizing your windfall at their expense. Rationalize all you want, this was a failure and you know it.

Last edited:
At the meeting, the message I delivered was the same that was delivered to ALPA’s Executive Council in May.

we also expect ALPA to effect the presentation of this Award to US Airways CEO Doug Parker and defend this award using all available resources.

The EC listened to your argument and voted unanimously ( excluding the AWA guy who's vote was a forgone conclusion ) NOT to do so.

Seniority is based on age. Exactly, but only as a new hire. Using someone elses logic means that if I get hired after some guy thats younger than me I move up because I am older. Yeah, sure.

FD, I agree, the situation sucks. But they got put there by Wolf and the other long line of idiots that took the money and ran. UAL merger, etc...

OK, so lets try this. Longevity is important. Like Nicalou stated, neither side is going to be happy if he ruled on the issue. I don't think the number 3 guy at AWA is real happy being #520 now. It's all about perspective. What about his longevity. Oh yeah, another one way street.

Everyone fails to realize that age 65 is coming fast. Meaning, no movement at all. Growth is the only way that is going to happen. And that is not going to happen under Parker's watch. He has said it many times.

At MOST airlines, seniority IS based on age.

That has to be one of the stupidest things I have read in months. I guess if a 55 yr old is hired a few years after me he should upgrade before me. Please enlighten me as to which airlines have this policy?

Seniority based on age matters on ONE day and ONE day only. The first day of indoc.

Again people ,think before you post.

Hide behind the word "Binding" all you want. There is an expectation that a reasonable standard will be maintained by the arbitrator. I guess it is safe to assume that if he would have decided that all AAA East pilots should be immediately terminated, you would defend that also. He dropped the ball without imposing fences, conditions and restirictions etc. so no, it did not work in this case and the East pilots will fight to prevent you from realizing your windfall at their expense. Rationalize all you want, this was a failure and you know it.

I want someone to point out to me the windfall that the AWA pilots will soon realize. I don't want to hear about your retirements, age 60 will soon be gone so that point is moot. Besides that your retirements aren't as coveted as you claim. I believe 40% of your retirements are from the right seat, which are only of interest to new hires. Also, just how many PHX or LAS based pilots are going to take an upgrade anywhere on the east coast?

Tell the truth now, you were looking to make seniority gains on the backs of the AWA pilot group. That didn't happen nor will the BINDING arbitration change to suit your delusions of seniority grandeur. So it's time to move on.

Oh by the way, I'm not worried about a small but vocal group of easties that claim they can burn the airline down and send me to the unemployment line.

this is stupid...

AAA had almost 2 years to come up with something that worked for both pilot groups. They continued with their DOH rhetoric (remember the bag stickers). Which by the way violates alpa merger policy! Now your pissed because things didn't go your way. So I say UP YOURS!!! You didn't negotiate with us so we will not negotiate with you!!!!

Guppie, I'm sure you already know the answer you're gonna get. Something along the lines of "......18 year............2 year.........wasn't born yet......blah blah blah......inexperienced........most experienced....blah blah blah"

Last edited:
There is an expectation that a reasonable standard will be maintained by the arbitrator.
Of course there is. Just because you disagree with his logic doesn't mean it isn't reasonable. And who is qualified to determine the reasonableness? The ALPA EC? If that were the case seniority integration would be determined by them and not subbed out to a certified arbitrator. Remember the Alaska arbitration that completedly hosed their pilots two years ago? There's a risk entering into binding arbitration. If you can't handle that risk all you have to do come to a negotiated agreement. I don't need to hind behind anything.

Latest resources

Back