• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA sues SKYW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why dont you go to one of the meetings and ask any qestions you may have?

You can also check the DC 9 payrates for the poor NWA pilots. www.airlinepilotcentral.com 5 yr capt is at $115/hr. How much do skywest pilots make flying the 70-90 seater?

I have been there, done that. I came from an ALPA carrier. I saw how ALPA "standed up" for the pilot group, and was not very impressed.

Skywest Pilots make just as much if not more(if you count performance rewards) than most of the ALPA regionals flying 70 and 90 seaters. What is your point?

I said it once and I will say it again. I don't have anything against ALPA. I think if it is lead by the right person and if they actually back up what they say it would be a great benefit for any airline. I am just no impressed with them on the past 7 years, when we needed them the most. So why should I believe that things will be 100 % different now? Why should I believe that now they will fight for me, no matter what?
Until you can prove me otherwise I will be using the 2% to feed my family.

have been there, done that. I came from an ALPA carrier. I saw how ALPA "standed up" for the pilot group, and was not very impressed.
At which airline and how long did you work there?

Skywest Pilots make just as much if not more(if you count performance rewards) than most of the ALPA regionals flying 70 and 90 seaters.
Do you think Skywest is the only airline with such rewards?

What is your point?
My point is that despite a paycut they still have a contract and make more money than you. Also, those companies were under BK, is Skywest in BK? Whats their excuse for the pay parity?

said it once and I will say it again. I don't have anything against ALPA. I think if it is lead by the right person and if they actually back up what they say it would be a great benefit for any airline. I am just no impressed with them on the past 7 years, when we needed them the most. So why should I believe that things will be 100 % different now? Why should I believe that now they will fight for me, no matter what?
Until you can prove me otherwise I will be using the 2% to feed my family.
It is lead by the right person and the majority think so since they have voted for him. No electoral college here.
Sorry you have not been impressed with them in the past 7 years, have you even been in the industry for 7 years. Also, have you been asleep for the past 7 years, did you forget about 9/11.
Once again start going to the meeting and bring up your questions, this site is not the place for it. There is more to it than your 1.95%. i can tell you from experience that it had been worth every penny.

Who said anything about crossing a picket line? You are jumping way ahead of yourself there.
I said you are a scab just waiting to happen

You yourself have shown your true colors.
Yup, my true colors.
You simply have distain for anyone that is against the union.
Nahhh, I just hate you, you drink the kool-aid then spew the same lame $******************** that the company feeds the rest of your ilk.

You hate those who don't have similar views as yourself.
Not really, I welcome different viewpoints, Until the viewpoint becomes destructive to my lifestyle. After 10+ years in this industry, I have watched the slide that has happened. Your view point is the same as radical islam or 1938 era Hitler, both must be dealt with, you on the otherhand will be easier than the previous examples.

You already possess that mob mentality.
I don't need a mob to hate you and your kind, I would watch your career go into the toilet and not lift a finger, nor even feel a twinge of remorse. I don't need a mob to hate you!

I never once showed a desire for ASA to go out of buisness simply a desire for them to finish the contract as a strike is not good for anyone.
I know your desire is for your boyfriend, thats ok.

I also pointed out how Delta is lining up more and more flying for other regionals out of ATL.
That 900 is just singing your siren song, "come cross this little line and you can fly this SHINY JET for 50 seat coin and the the thanks of managment."

You are still the boil on the a$$, of a crack whore.
PUTO
PBR

Last edited:
And to quote Artic flier...Thats intelligent!
Don't you have a series of dogs to blow in between whatever it is you do? Oh yeah, you blow dogs for a living.
Howz dat
PBR

This is actually two seperate questions.

Question #1: Do I as a Skywest pilot want to be represented by a union?

yes or no?

Question #2: Which of the several union options out there do I want to represent me?

ALPA, Teamsters, TWU, start your own (i.e., SWAPA or APA), etc.

When you think of it this way the question becomes easier.

What does having a union get you?

1. A contract
2. The right to enforce that contract with court assistance if necessary
3. the right to bargain collectively
4. the right to utilize "self-help" to "bargain collectively"
5. the right to only be terminated for "just cause"

These are things that are only available to an individual employee if they belong to an employee group that has filed notice with the NMB that they are represented by a recognized union. Otherwise you are governed by applicable state and federal laws which basically means that as long as an employer does not discriminate against you based on gender, religion, race, etc. they can do whatever they want.

Many of the arguments I am reading on this thread are very valid crticisms of ALPA and specific MEC's within ALPA, however, offer no help in answering the more basic question of should their be a union or not.

A union is a group of people that agree to utilize their collective power to gain improvements for the whole. It is NOT a service that you buy. ALPA national is a resource that your elected MEC utilizes. The actual makeup/strength of that MEC would be up to YOU - the Skywest pilots. A union (ALPA or whatever) is only as good as the collective efforts of the entire group.

You can ask what happened to Delta's contract, what about United, what about Alaska. The more relevant question is what WOULD have happened had they not had a union.

How about these questions - why doesn't Skywest operate 737's for UAL or DAL? Why does Alaska still have a pension? Why does DAL still have one of - if not - THE highest pay rates amongst the pax airlines? Why does UAL have a 9% B fund and a 6% C fund in place of their pensions? Why haven't all of the ASA pilots been fired? What do you think would have happened if these airlines DID NOT have a legally enforceable CBA?

There are pilot groups that are rightfully not happy with ALPA - US East, American Eagle, ComAir that I can think of off the top of my head. There are many pilots on these properties that would decertify ALPA in a heartbeat if given the opportunity - but don't think for a second ANY of these pilots would CONSIDER becoming a non-union carrier.

Good luck

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back