• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alpa at Flex?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Would Alpa be a better choice than the IBT? I've heard they're showing interest.

It seems everyone goes through the "ALPA" stage during the early days of an organizing campaign in the Frac industry.

Fact is they've never been interested in representing anything other than 121 pilots and they've never done a very good job of representing the pilots at the regionals. It's a dollars and cents thing. We'd be a fly spec in their overall picture.

We have the same contact number Travel Management had. He didn't return their calls and he's not returning ours. Pretty much says it all.

Here are some facts and thoughts:

• Both, Flexjet and Netjets, are on ALPA's radar. How do I know this? Because I've talked to the head organizer for ALPA along with some other Flexjet pilots.

• We all know that unions are about dues. Here's some math: In a prior life at an ALPA represented regional, we had roughly 1,700 pilots. Average salary probably around $60,000ish X 1,700 X 2% = $2,000,000. Average salary at Flex, maybe $125,000ish X 400+ (by year's end) X 2% = $1,000,000. Factor in Netjets who make more than Flex pilots but for the sake of argument use $125,000 again and there's another $7,500,000 based on 3,000 pilots. Why on earth wouldn't they want to tap into that? When brought to the organizers attention, he seemed seemed a bit intrigued at those numbers.

• A major complaint I had with ALPA was that they had too many irons in the fire. They couldn't fairly represent all of their competing interests. I.e. ASA, Comair, and Delta. They couldn't represent one group without another losing out. If the 1108 tries to represent Flexjet and FLOPs, not only are we going to be upset with each other but also with the 1108 because ultimately there will be losers at both places.

• It's been said that the 1108 has the knowledge, experience, and "goods" on Ricci. Probably all true. But that doesn't mean that ALPA can't be educated. FLOPs pilots have been trying to educate us for nearly 18 months now so why couldn't ALPA learn also?

In the end, it may all be for nothing trying to push the ALPA angle. I have my own personal reasons for not wanting to be a Teamster but in the end may reluctantly reside to the fact that it's my only option. I really want nothing to do with either group but realize that there needs to be a document signed by both sides going forward.

Flame away!

I have no desire to flame. We can always revisit the idea of who would better represent the pilot group at a later point in time, but the bottom line is that we all need to be represented and (almost as important) be united against One Sky/DAC, because you can rest assured that they are 100% united against us.

Here are some facts and thoughts:

? Both, Flexjet and Netjets, are on ALPA's radar. How do I know this? Because I've talked to the head organizer for ALPA along with some other Flexjet pilots.

? We all know that unions are about dues. Here's some math: In a prior life at an ALPA represented regional, we had roughly 1,700 pilots. Average salary probably around $60,000ish X 1,700 X 2% = $2,000,000. Average salary at Flex, maybe $125,000ish X 400+ (by year's end) X 2% = $1,000,000. Factor in Netjets who make more than Flex pilots but for the sake of argument use $125,000 again and there's another $7,500,000 based on 3,000 pilots. Why on earth wouldn't they want to tap into that? When brought to the organizers attention, he seemed seemed a bit intrigued at those numbers.

? A major complaint I had with ALPA was that they had too many irons in the fire. They couldn't fairly represent all of their competing interests. I.e. ASA, Comair, and Delta. They couldn't represent one group without another losing out. If the 1108 tries to represent Flexjet and FLOPs, not only are we going to be upset with each other but also with the 1108 because ultimately there will be losers at both places.

? It's been said that the 1108 has the knowledge, experience, and "goods" on Ricci. Probably all true. But that doesn't mean that ALPA can't be educated. FLOPs pilots have been trying to educate us for nearly 18 months now so why couldn't ALPA learn also?

In the end, it may all be for nothing trying to push the ALPA angle. I have my own personal reasons for not wanting to be a Teamster but in the end may reluctantly reside to the fact that it's my only option. I really want nothing to do with either group but realize that there needs to be a document signed by both sides going forward.

Flame away!

I think you need to be honest with yourself. Isn't it true that the only reason you're lobbying for ALPA is that you like the name "Airline pilots association", better then you like the name "Teamsters"?

As for your numbers. Even with the higher salaries we would still only have a combined group of under a thousand pilots. So compare our numbers to those of one of the legacy carriers, remember that in the ALPA system 70% of our dues would go to ALPA national (22% with IBT) and tell me you really - really really - believe ALPA would do anything for us other then collect our dues.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back