Aloha Furloughing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes

"FreightDog" is an Aloha F/O and he told me they would be. I also heard it from a Capt I flew with that is married to an Aloha F/O 3 away from getting the cut.

You'll probably get a better response posting this on the majors board...

The company hasnt mentioned anything about furloughs. there is nothing official out there.

however, we are carrying a bit more people than we normally carry in excess of the staffing requirements. there is other evidence to support the company to consider it, and there is evidence that the company has been considering it.

stay tuned tho, there is a lot that needs to happen before people actually walk the street. even after the company declares we have excess bodies. if anything happens, it wont be til the fall, october or november.

Actually dash8driver, the company DID mention furloughs. Our new illustrious leader, at the union meeting last week. Read about the f-word in the meeting notes emailed a few days ago.

actually, he brought it up in response to the questions and mentioned that in order to furlough, they'd have to offer flex bids and loas first. so yes, technically he did use the word.

ok, let me make this clear so no one gets confused. i didnt know it was that complicated, i'm sorry. the company has not said "we need to furlough" or "we are going to furlough" yet.

the rest of my previous post regarding our overstaffing and such still applies.

Has the sale of island air gone bad?
I don't understand the question. The sale was finalized awhile ago. IA is no longer part of Aloha Air Group. However there is an outstanding grievance on the sale.

The talk of the F word comes from the company changing the -700 schedule to mostly 2 days trips and dropping the tag flying and dropping PHX. This will increase the average hours on the bid lines, therefore there is a reduction in manpower requirements. So far they have not said anything about a new destination or increasing -700 flying, but my guess is as soon as they get all the schedule changes figured out, they will add some -700 flights in the fall and there will be no F-word. Planes not flying don't make any money.

Ahh, no F-word. That is what I like to hear. I guess the move to 2 day trips will make everyone have to fly an extra trip per month. Cool. Island Air just lost some really good guys recently to Aloha. I would hate to see them come back to the DASH.

well, dont start celebrating yet. the point in time we are at is that there are lots of rumors of furloughs, and good reasons for the speculation to be accurate. also, we are at the point that the company hasnt called for the furlough....yet.

based on all thats out there, there is a good chance that we will need to have a reduction in force of some sort. the best guess is that if it happens, it will happen no earlier than november. if there is a need for a reduction the company, by contract has to offer flex bids and loas to reduce the number that are forced to walk. we have a great bunch of guys here, many of whom are ready to spread it out so no one has to go home.

my conclusion.. dont get too excited and dont get too depressed. there's nothing official yet and even if there was, there's nothing we can do about it. just wait and see what happens. be cautious and start saving your pennies just in case. if nothing happens, you'll have a $hitload of pennies.

Latest resources

Back