• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F18-FDX

Purple Rules
Guys & Gals,

I felt compelled to write this post due to the results of last week's elections. For those of you unfamiliar with the Senate's proposed "Airline Labor Dispute Resolution Act", S. 1327, you need to be. This bill could have a DEVASTATING affect on our careers, earnings and our families. If you're not familiar with it, this bill is an attempt to circumvent the Railway Labor Act. The legislation would impose “last offer” baseball style binding arbitration on contract negotiations in the airline industry, effectively destroying airline labor’s ability to negotiate a fair contract. It would allow an arbitrator to pick one side's proposal (i.e. management's) over the other's and make it stick. It takes away airline labor's right to vote on our contracts and even denies our right to strike! This is a Republican bill and has been pushed by all major airline CEOs (gee, I wonder why). These guys have massive political lobbying clout and are buying votes. Obviously with the results of last week's elections, it has a REALISTIC CHANCE of passing.

My point, you ask? If you have not already done so, EVERY pilot needs to CONTACT YOUR SENATORS IMMEDIATELY! It is extremely EASY. If you're not an ALPA member, go to www.congress.org, put in your zip code at the top of the page, then select "write all your elected officials with one click." If you are an ALPA member, log in to the website and click on the "Airline Labor Dispute Resolution Act" icon in the middle of the page, then click on "ACTION ALERT." Type in your zip code and this allows you to shotgun out e-mails to your senators in one easy step, there's even a prepared e-mail if you elect to use it. Either of these take less than 5 minutes, you don't have to write an essay, just urge your senators to oppose S. 1327, the Airline Labor Dispute Resolution Act. Let them know that it is extremely important to you and your family, and that their decision will affect your next vote for, or against them. I have written several times and will continue to do so because my Republican Senators keep writing me back with their party line of how good this bill is.

Hopefully I won't offend anyone since this isn't "interview" or "hiring" related, however I feel very strongly that this issue is TOO IMPORTANT to our futures to not take the few minutes required to let your voice be heard.

Read the Bill before writting

I agree the pay of a pilot is not what it use to be. However, with all things considered any person getting into this line of working thinking he will hit it big is neive. Prior to becoming a pilot I was a research scientist making some really good money. Eventhough I could solve complex problems in my sleep more or less, I never really loved my line of work. These days I get up at all hours to go fly an okay aircraft in all weather for 1500/mo. In all truth it is highway robbery, but a necessary step in the natural chain of becoming a higher experienced pilot. With that in mind, I may not be looking at the same picture and I do not know everything that would make a person object to the of the proposed bill. However, here is a link to the bill.

http://www.amfa33.org/Legislative/sb_1327.htm

One benefit of this bill is the time in which a company can not hold out from giving equable salery. It also allows for a judical appeal. So maybe I'm missing something. You don't have to beat me over the head with your experience. A reasonable arguement is all I'm looking for.

Thanks

It's not just about the pay; it's about the most basic rights of a labor group to look out for its members' well being.

The RLA could stand to be revamped, but any new legislation must be a FAIR and REASONABLE alternative. The Airline Labor Dispute Resolution Act however, is far from it. I could support a re-written bill that conserves the tenets of a fair and just negotiation, the basic democratic right of a labor group to vote on a proposed contract as well as the right to self-help as a last resort. This bill however, with its "binding arbitration" language, can force an unfair contract on labor with no right for appeal or further discussion. It is simply another tool in management's pocket to force its agenda whether it be work rules, retirement, compensation or any of the other myriad of issues that arise during the negotiation of a collective bargaining agreement. Major airline CEOs created this bill and are now buying its way through the Senate.

Have at it...read it, then WRITE your Senator!

management, management....

those evil people....

blame all your life's problems on them!

Yeh, it's all their fault...

those evil dark people who hide up in those towers of doom with nothing else do it in their life but ruin our lives....

Yeh! those incompetent fools! they're the ones who make all the bad decisions! They're the ones who destroy airlines!

Yeh! Strike! Strike! We'll show them!

Actually, I'm not blaming any current problems on management. Things are going pretty darn well for me at the moment, but thanks for your concern.

Just trying to do my part in the democracy and help keep the playing field fair for all of us, and for guys like you in the future...that is if you ever make it to a major, of course.

Ya' know beytzim, your kind of garbage on this board reminds me why I just don't read it much anymore! I have an opinions about the subject hand and they may or may not agree with everybody. But for Christ's sake, be a grown up and if you agree or diasgree with something be a professional and enter the conversation with some intelligence and tact.

One thing is for sure:

All union represented or aspiring professional pilot should study the bill!

Having said that, you may agree or disagree with it, however, you should know ALL the direct and indirect implications it has on your career and the labor's ability to negotiate with the employer.
No one should say how to act on it. Decide for yourself, based on your future goals and needs and based on the labor unions' checkered past results.

Off the soap box.

To "F18=FDX'

You're on the fractional section of flightinfo. What makes you think I want to work for a "major" airline. I already work for the best aviation company in the world and I have no reason to leave.

To "Helo to Herc'

Quite frankly, that post was quite professional. I didn't mention any names, but simply remarked in an off-handed (perhaps sly) way on how ridiculous "F18-FDX's" post was. I did not insult an individual person.

YOU, on the other hand, personally attacked me. Drop your management bashing, and keep it on the 'majors' section, where it belongs.

Get a Life, buddy.

The way that I have read these posts, beytzim, is that nobody was blaming anybody for their life's problems until your post....which I still do not quite understand. F18-FDX is using these boards the way they were meant to be used- open communications discussing the issuses of the aviation industry. Like his point or not, he is sharing what he think is important in his world and probably to many others. Ignore it or be a freakin' grown up about your comments. Your **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** right I attacked you because that is the type of crap that seems to be prevailing on these boards and regardless what you think of your original post it was insulting.
Last but not least...since when is the "fractional" message board reserved only for frac pilots and when did appoint yourself to speak for us a whole?
Go back to being a management lackey!

Latest resources

Back