• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

All about the CRJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is the circle around the Alt Static Port mean?
WHat does the circle around the Stby Pitot Probe and TAT mean?

These are the only ones that have the red or white painted circle around them.

What is Potasium Superoxide? Do we have it on the CRJ? If so, how long is it good for?

What the heck is ADSHC?

Fun Stuff!

Hey Gunny,

Potassium Superoxide (KO2) is what's inside the O2 canisters for the PAX oxy masks. Each PSU has one Skoal-sized can. When they pull on the mask, a string pulls a pin and a striker snaps in the can and lights the oxygen 'candle.' That's why they get hot when producing O2 and last a finite amount of time. We used KO2 canisters in our firefighting breathing equipment aboard Navy ships and subs; they were supposed to last 30 minutes.

TRIM!!!
Sounds like some confusion on the A/P disconnect with the trim subject. The easiest way is to move the nose up/down trim rocker with your thumb as you do while hand-flying...usually trimming a little NU during the disconnect since the AP usually kicks off ND. Works like a charm! Don't use the little red button with your index finger 'cause as said before, it'll kill both the trim (bad idea) and the yaw damps!

I agree with the convention of using the spoilers as a last resort. Gotta do it in the winter to keep the a/ice going, but unless ATC or you $crew yourself on a descent/xing, proper planning should suffice. Now, if you get the short approach...all bets are off! 3k down with the boards out and flaps 20 will get you down and slow in a jiffy to fly to the numbers! Drop the gear and you'll rival the shuttle!!

Nothing like driving slow in the pattern, just above min clean, sippin' the fuel and seeing the other guy chomping at the bit to drop the flaps ;)

Also, JMO: Flight spoilers are not in good style unless absolutely needed (descent w/anti ice), way behind in crossing restriction (put down the USA Today): they vibrate the airframe, waste fuel, and bug the pax. If fast and/or high near the OM drop the gear first, it's gotta come down anyway right? And if near flap speed with gear up drop the flaps instead of spoilers, same deal.
I agree with you. The flight spoilers handle is the "mistake lever" to me. Either I mess up, or ATC did. I don't like to use them at all.

Our training department has told us that the yellow caution messages, as well as the N2 arcs associated with anti-ice are advisory only. You're still getting ice protection even with the cass messages.

Keep those N1 values synced perfectly. It's horrible to ride in the back row if they're out of sync. The rear of the fuselage vibrates. Even .1% is noticeable.

On some of our aircraft the Cabin Alt will actually climb if you reduce the power to idle. When I'm descending and/or slowing down I keep the ECS page up to make sure air is getting to the packs. I don't like my ears popping. If I have to I'll use the spoilers with the engines spooled up enough to keep airflow to the packs. Or see what the Capt thinks about starting the APU.

I'm going to try the speed mode with TURB selected in a climb tomorrow, as well as bumping the thrust levers up a tad to delay the GLD.

On some of our aircraft the Cabin Alt will actually climb if you reduce the power to idle. When I'm descending and/or slowing down I keep the ECS page up to make sure air is getting to the packs. I don't like my ears popping. If I have to I'll use the spoilers with the engines spooled up enough to keep airflow to the packs. Or see what the Capt thinks about starting the APU.

This is one of my pet peeves... it needs to be written up. Nothing is more annoying than seeing a 1500 fpm gain in the cabin after you wipe the power.

This is one of my pet peeves... it needs to be written up. Nothing is more annoying than seeing a 1500 fpm gain in the cabin after you wipe the power.

Yea, or have the same thing happen when the cabin door opens, after setting the landing field elevation correctly.

Also,

Hitting the trim switch while the auto pilot on shouldn't kick the YDs off. Hitting the "sync" button the on the back of the yoke shouldn't do anything when the AP is on. For the airplanes we have, I wonder if there is a difference with different serial numbers.

Hey Gunny,

TRIM!!!
Sounds like some confusion on the A/P disconnect with the trim subject. The easiest way is to move the nose up/down trim rocker with your thumb as you do while hand-flying...usually trimming a little NU during the disconnect since the AP usually kicks off ND. Works like a charm! Don't use the little red button with your index finger 'cause as said before, it'll kill both the trim (bad idea) and the yaw damps!

I use the little red button with my thumb all the time... I've never had the YD's to disengage by using this button. Works like a charm.
Now if you use the little button on top/back side just behind the trim switch, this is the "Press, Hold, Release" button that does disengage the Stab/Mach Trim. But it doesn't disengage the YD's either.

Last edited:
I use the little red button with my thumb all the time... I've never had the YD's to disengage by using this button. Works like a charm.
Now if you use the little button on top/back side just behind the trim switch is the "Press, Hold, Release" button that does disengage the Stab/Mach Trim. But it doesn't disengage the YD's either.

That's exactly my experience.

Latest resources

Back